DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n & Poor Results Using High Gain Antenna

• tobiz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2009 16:44 #1 by tobiz
I've been getting v.poor results from my new 2820n using a single Ant-1107 High Gain Antenna, poor signal strength, long time to make connection, dropped connections etc. I'm using the high gain in the left or right connection not the centre one. I replaced the high gain with the 3 supplied short antenna and all problems went away. As I'm rack mounting the 2820n I can't use the short antenna. Question: do I need to use 3 high gain antennas to get good results??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2009 12:21 #2 by phez
I too have the same question. Do all 3 antenna ports need the antennas replaced? On some routers e.g. Billion, one of the antenna ports is the main RX/TX port and the other is RX only.

Can anyone advise if this is the same?

• tobiz
  • Topic Author
More
12 Oct 2009 13:56 #3 by tobiz
Replied by tobiz on topic Poor result from single high gain antenna

phez wrote: I too have the same question. Do all 3 antenna ports need the antennas replaced? On some routers e.g. Billion, one of the antenna ports is the main RX/TX port and the other is RX only.

Can anyone advise if this is the same?

phez,

I asked Draytek technical and they said all 3 antenna had to be the same. I updated mine to use 3 high gain ones and the problems went away - however an expensive lesson!

More
16 Oct 2009 08:27 #4 by phez

tobiz wrote:
phez,

I asked Draytek technical and they said all 3 antenna had to be the same. I updated mine to use 3 high gain ones and the problems went away - however an expensive lesson!

Thanks Tobiz, thats a real shame because it is expensive and when you want to rack mount it its near impossible with 3 fixed antennas on the rear of the unit.

I wanted to place 1 high gain external antenna to capture all the traffic in the house. Any ideas?

More
16 Oct 2009 12:41 #5 by admin
802.11n using Mimo requires multiple (>1) antennae but maybe if you swtich to 802.11b or G only you will get better performance with a single antennae, as long as you connect to the right socket.

Forum Administrator

More
16 Oct 2009 14:34 #6 by phez

admin wrote: 802.11n using Mimo requires multiple (>1) antennae but maybe if you swtich to 802.11b or G only you will get better performance with a single antennae, as long as you connect to the right socket.

Thanks Admin, do you know which would be the right socket?

I have had a look around the forums and cant see anyone using the 2820vn with external antennas in a SOHO environment?

Looking at the below link, the draytek antennas dont stack up the best:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1278283

I bought my 2820vn with 5dbi antennas, have probably wasted money on that.

I am looking to buy something like this:
http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=3&Sub1=18&Sub2=38&PID=197

They are only rated to wireless-G. I have seen this for wirless-N

http://www.quickertek.com/products/80211N_upgrade_BS.php

It looks like it would work. Anyone tried one?

Moderators: Sami