DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Sync speed drastically slower when using DrayTek Vigor 130 (or OpenReach Modem) than using BT SmartHub 2

• zicheee
  • Topic Author
More
22 Aug 2021 17:17 #1 by zicheee
Hi, so I've recently been setting up my dream network solution in my new house, this consists of an EdgeRouter 6P, Switch 24 Pro and UAP-AC's, this has been great, however, when using any of my modems I get a sync speed of Down Stream : 14455Kbps / Up Stream : 1157Kbps which is much worse than the 19Mbps down, that I would get using my SmartHub 2. I rang BT asking for a reason for this and they provided no help as long as I wasn't using the SmartHub. Does anyone have any ideas why my sync speed would be lower using a 3rd party modem than the BT SmartHub 2

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have a copper cable DSL connection, I don't know if that makes a difference, nevertheless, speed is objectively slow if I use any 3rd party modem compared to my BT Hub.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2021 13:01 #2 by admin3
I've seen a similar thing when checking VDSL with looong cable distances. The newer routers and chipsets, the G.fast and VDSL2 35b capable ones like the Vigor 2865 / 2866, Vigor 166 and BT SmartHub 2, are each able to sync up at higher speeds / get better SNR with poor line conditions.

With a regular / good condition line, the Vigor 130 should be fine but if you've got a particularly bad line, which unfortunately I'd say that that one is, newer chipsets can give a speed boost.

For reference, your line conditions are roughly equivalent to a 2km copper line between the modem and the VDSL MSAN, or maybe less than 1km for ADSL2+. The up speed is high enough that I wonder if it would be ADSL2+ or VDSL. The speed difference makes me suspect VDSL.

You can try out different modem codes on the Vigor 130 to see if they increase speeds, I recommend the 579F17 modem code firmware as it's the newest modem code available. But you can get even more from here, there are now 11 you can try out: https://fw.draytek.com.tw/Vigor130/Firmware/v3.8.4.1/

Forum Administrator

More
30 Aug 2021 23:21 #3 by edinburgh
There are lots of reasons for that.

- type of chipset and how old/new it is; it's been proven that some Broadcom/Infineon-based modems connect better to Broadcom/Infineon-based cabinets, respectively, achieving better speeds. See also what admin3 said above

- type of DSL Modem Code on Draytek routers will result in different connection speeds - see my post about modem codes supporting/not supporting vectoring etc. You should also consider trying out different modem codes from different firmware types as they can improve stability

- type of DSL filter - when I connect directly to the BT Faceplate, I get 45Mbps, but when I'm connected to my ADSL Nation filter (faceplate on an extension socket) and a broadband stabiliser, I get 54Mbps

- whether or not your equipment/faceplate is faulty - using faulty faceplates can result in a significant drop in speed

- whether or not there is noise on the line - noise will stifle your connection and so when there's noise, your connection will be sluggish

- whether or not you connect at peak or non-peak periods - your actual rate may be lower than attainable rate

- whether or not your router has an in-built noise filter to improve the connection quality (for example, ZyXEL 8924-B10A)

- what your SNR is - frequent disconnections will result in SNR going up and speed down

Moderators: Sami