DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

What chipset do 2860 and 2865 have?

• user234234
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2022 12:40 #1 by user234234
What chipset do 2860 and 2865 have? was created by user234234
I have experienced intermittent internet connection issues (top speed, then zero, every 2-30 minutes, drops last for litte time but sufficinetly to kill calls or streaming) for 2 weeks after years of having the same equipment. I had a Vigor 2860n, replaced it with a 2865ac and the issue remained. I tested current and 5 beta firmware. Had three - 3! - OpenRich visits, they keep saying the line is fine. Replaced the master socket, the cabling, APs and switch. No change. Then PlusNet sent me a Hub 1 and the issue went away.

Does anybody know what chipset the two Draytek router use? I am told my cabinet is Huawei and want to explore if there is an issue depending on the chipset of the router.

Plusnet Hub One is a repurposed BT Home Hub 5A with Lantiq, I am getting a Hub 2 which has a Broadcom chipset. I asked Draytek support but so far got no reply on this point.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2022 15:31 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: What chipset do 2860 and 2865 have?

user234234 wrote:
... replaced it with a 2865ac and the issue remained. I tested current and 5 beta firmware.

Unusually, there are no official 'alternate' firmwares listed for the 2865 ...

However, each of the firmwares you've acquired so far (presumably from Draytek support), probably contain at least two different "DSL Modem Codes". Have you tried them all?

This is a screenshot of the relevant gui pages from the 2865 emulator at: http://eu.draytek.com:12865/

If there's no solution to be had by doing that, you could try 'fiddling' with the SNR setting: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4800 . (I got a good speed improvement by doing this, but when I went too far, I started suffering from disconnections).

That article doesn't mention it, but there is a "VDSL Savecfg" command that probably needs to be issued after making changes...

• user234234
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2022 23:39 #3 by user234234
Replied by user234234 on topic Re: What chipset do 2860 and 2865 have?
Draytek support sent me 5 alternative firmware, and none of them made any difference, some made it worse. Will try what you suggest but wanted first to understand why the issue appeared in the first place and explore the chipset avenue. Open Reach came for the fourth time and line tested fine, in the cabinet he said they installed additional lines but that should not interfere. He does not know what they did in the G-fast cabinet as he has no access. Will try your suggestion and let you know how it goes.

More
11 May 2022 02:45 #4 by hornbyp

user234234 wrote:
Does anybody know what chipset the two Draytek router use?

Can't find anything for the 2865 (and don't have one to dismantle!), but found this for the 2860: https://fccid.io/VGYV2860AC/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-2610403

Page 192 shows a close-up of a

Lantiq
Part Number: PSB 80920
Series: XWAY™ VRX288
Description: XWAY™ VRX288: SoC VDSL2, ADSL1/2/2+ Home Gateway

Datasheet (of sorts) here: https://www.electronicsdatasheets.com/manufacturers/lantiq/parts/psb-80920

More
11 May 2022 03:01 #5 by hornbyp

hornbyp wrote:
Can't find anything for the 2865

I tried a bit harder :) and found this: https://fccid.io/VGY2865/Internal-Photos/11-Internal-Photo-VGY2865-5024719 , but couldn't really identify the relevant IC.

However, this web page , says it's "Intel (Lantiq) GRX350A3". (I'm not sure I can see it in any of the photos though)

More
14 May 2022 23:22 #6 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: What chipset do 2860 and 2865 have?
All Drayteks use Lantiq, which is former Infineon.

2860 uses VR9, whereas 2865 VRX518. Plusnet don't make Hub 1 anymore, so I'm surprised they sent it to you. Are you sure it's Hub 1 and not Hub 2 (with a big disc/circle)? Hub 2 has a Broadcom chipset which is *supposedly* more compatible with Huawei cabinets. I've used Zyxel 8924 (Broadcom), Draytek (Lantiq), Fritzbox (Lantiq) and Plusnet Hub 1 (Lantiq) on my line and the best of them has been Fritzbox. The majority of cabinets in the UK are now Huawei. You can tell if that's what you're connected to by going to DSL stats on your Draytek router.

I've had a lot of problems with my 2762 on a Huawei cabinet, but I have interference on the line which Openreach have said will finally try to address (after 15 Openreach visits and 17 months of torture trying to deal with Openreach). I think problems with Drayteks on Huawei cabinets happen when there's a problem with your line. Remember that according to Openreach, your line is 'within parameters'. This doesn't mean that there is no issue: there may be an issue but your line is still performing within the acceptable parameters. So, you need to pay attention to language and how it's used by them.

From my experience of dealing with Openreach, it's very difficult to get them to do anything, though, especially if you stay in a big city. They're untouchable and uncontactable. Basically like a sect. They've only started doing something in my area when Virgin Media said they'd come here and started putting cables in. The tone of conversation changes dramatically in such cases, and Openreach even started putting the truth in their reports to Plusnet from the usual 'WiFi issue; customer advised on how to deal with it'.

So, my line has an issue, but is within parameters, and that's how Openreach get away with so much.

I hate Openreach.

Moderators: Sami