DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 IPPBX questions

More
04 Sep 2015 20:29 #1 by ukengb
2820 IPPBX questions was created by ukengb
First the simple stuff. I have everything ISDN disabled, but the ISDN 1 port flashes continuously. Why? How can I turn it off?

Likewise, I have just switched to fibre and PPPoE over WAN2, from ADSL over WAN1 which I have now disabled. But the DSL light is continuously flashing.

When WAN2 was previously disabled, it's light was not on (that I remember seeing). So how come both the above are on when their systems are completely disabled. Surely there's a way to turn these off?

Setting up to send an email when the connection drops, but how can I specify who the message is From? The configuration for sending voice mail over email includes a field to enter who the message is from, but I can see no such field in the config for connection dropped error emails. Am I missing something?

That then leads on to something a bit more fundamental. I register SIP trunks with an external provider (unsurprisingly), but I also use a local DNS and SMTP server, i.e. on the LAN side of the router. But, if I set the DNS in the LAN configuration to the local address, none of the trunks can register. If I set the DNS to be those of my ISP, i.e. on the Internet/WAN side, the SIP trunks register, but the Vigor cannot send voice mail or connection error emails as it cannot resolve the name of my local SMTP server. I can get around the latter by using the IP address of my local SMTP server in all places that it occurs in the Vigor config. but this is not right. The whole point of the DNS system is to avoid that.

But what is more puzzling is why, when the Vigor is set to use my local DNS, it for some reason cannot seem to resolve the names of the SIP servers to which it is trying to register the SIP trunks. My DNS server is quite capable of doing the lookup and providing the information even if not previously in it's database or cache - that's its whole raison d'etre. So what is the Vigor doing or not doing that means it cannot use my local DNS for these external lookups?

It does rather highlight a problem in not being able to adequately control which interface gets used for what. Anyone got any clues about the above?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2015 17:38 #2 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Re: 2820 IPPBX questions
Well I updated from 3.5.8 to 3.5.10 in case there were any improvements and I've now set the LAN DNS entry back to my own server and checked the "force PBX to use etc". So voicemail test email seems to now work as it can resolve my SMTP servers address, but miraculously all the SIP trunks are also registered. This is what appeared to be the problem with 3.5.8, but that had been running ok for a couple of years. Then after switching from WAN1 to WAN2 trunks simply won't register unless I set the LAN DNS to the external DNS of my ISP. But now after upgrading to 3.5.10, the trunks will now all register even with the DNS set to how it was originally. None of this makes ANY sense whatsoever.

I also still have a problem with extensions not being able to register. Again, this was working up until a few days ago (possibly until switching from WAN1 to WAN2). I'm using Brian on iOS and the Domain setting for each account is the FQDN of the PBX, which has worked on multiple devices for years. Now, NO accounts will register to the Vigor, they just complain "No DNS results (503)" unless I change the 'Domain' to the Vigor's IP address. Yet that FQDN IS resolvable by everything else, e.g. browser etc on the iOS device. It's in my local DNS and working perfectly. But is this error message on the extension device actually just being relayed from the Vigor which is having the problem? It shouldn't because it is now set to use that same local DNS.

So SIP server and client/extension device can both resolve the server/PBX's name, but the client cannot register to the PBX unless that is listed by address and not just name. But it all used to work and no changes have been made to this configuration. This is also making no sense.

And the update did nothing to the ISDN tel port nor the DSL light as they are both STILL flashing despite being completely disabled. Irritating it most definitely is.

Any advice on any of the above would be much appreciated.

More
06 Sep 2015 08:58 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2820 IPPBX questions
In simple terms, it looks like the router expects to use an external DNS server
for its own services... that may be just architecture as it's how 99% of people
would use it... DSL will always flash because it's just the modem operating
but it doesn't mean it's attempting a connection.

Forum Administrator

More
06 Sep 2015 09:58 #4 by ukengb

admin wrote: ... DSL will always flash because it's just the modem operating
but it doesn't mean it's attempting a connection.

The DSL light is essentially a minor, but irritating problem. I wasn't concerned that it's trying to connect to anything, with no physical connection to anything, no config. data and disabled. But the question remains, why is it still flashing. Once it's been so utterly and completely disabled the light should be completely off. When I was using WAN1 (ADSL), WAN2 was disabled and its light didn't flash. Leaving the DSL and ISDN lights flashing when their systems have been disabled is shoddy and lazy programming. Sorry, I know it's not the biggest deal in the world and previously with the Vigor actually hidden, I never noticed it, but now it's on view while sitting here at my desk. Which is handy as I can glance over to quickly see what's going on, except it's confused by unnecessary lights flashing.

I'd like to think the developers would be less remiss with any future replacements.

More
06 Sep 2015 10:02 #5 by ukengb

admin wrote: In simple terms, it looks like the router expects to use an external DNS server
for its own services... that may be just architecture as it's how 99% of people
would use it...

The 'Force....' checkbox should ensure that the Vigor always uses the specified DNS and not those provided by the ISP, so DNS control is apparently provided. But there was a problem.

I've had this system up and running for a couple of years now. Admittedly VOIP was not entirely successful with call quality issues, but I put that down to a very limited ADSL connection and we tended to not use VOIP calls much. But we've now switched to fibre and 20 times the bandwidth so I want to try and get VOIP running acceptably.

Previously, in each client I set up an account appropriately and they connected to the Vigor and registered without any major problems. Then a couple of days ago, I switched the Vigor to PPPoE via WAN2. Once the actual link was up and running, and each SIP trunk switched to using WAN2, the PBX should have been up and running again. But not all trunks would register, even though there have been NO changes at VOIP provider. I switched one of the ones that wouldn't register from WAN2 to Auto and it registered. One of the other trunks that had registered set to WAN2, I also switched to Auto and it then would not register. This is just bizarre. I switched them back to how they had been and they reverted back to their previous registration status.

Anyway, I updated the firmware and on restart, they all registered perfectly, all set to WAN2. Will they also register if set to Auto? They should, but I'm not about to try. So trunks are all working, but inconsistent, bizarre behaviour like that always leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

More
06 Sep 2015 10:06 #6 by ukengb
I still have a problem with the clients. I use Bria on several iOS devices, iPhones and iPads. This has always basically functioned as it should. Set up an account to use the Vigor and it registered perfectly. Just a few days ago, I had occasion to restart Bria on an iPhone and all accounts registered. But now, after switching the Vigor to PPPoE via WAN2, NONE of the Bria iOS clients can register. They all complain "No DNS results (503)" unless I change the account in Bria to use the Vigor's IP address instead of its name. Then the account registers perfectly.

All the client (Bria) accounts have been registering successfully with the Vigor PBX for several years without issue. Now, they simply will not register with that same configuration. I have tested with the Bria Mac (OSX) client and that works. Also I tried a couple of iPhone VOIP apps and they instantly registered even using the Vigor's FQDN and did NOT require the use of the IP address. So the problem is specifically Bria on iOS.

I know, this looks like a Bria problem, but it's one that didn't exist prior to switching the Vigor to PPPoE via WAN2. Before that, this ALL worked. I've tried variations in the Vigor's DNS settings, but they are now as they were. The Vigor is using my local DNS and it is obviously able to resolve my VOIP provider's names so the trunks register. On the iOS devices, EVERYTHING else can resolve the Vigor's name, but Bria still reports this DNS problem.

What I don't yet know is the origin of this error message. Is it Bria unable to resolve the name, or is it the Vigor having a problem and reporting that back to the Bria client when it tries to register and that is then simply forwarded by Bria as the reason for the failure? If the latter, then the problem is with the Vigor, but in which case, how can other clients register ok.

As I said, none of it makes any sense. Any ideas?