Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Fried my 2830n

• jonmach
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2014 10:57 #1 by jonmach
Fried my 2830n was created by jonmach
Hi,

I unfortunately toasted my 2830n-Plus by applying an incorrect Firmware update. I've now bought another 2830nP but would be interested in somehow fixing this as a backup. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2014 16:01 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Fried my 2830n
You need to reflash it with the *RST* file & should be alive & strong machine again

Get the Firmware Upgrade V.3.6.5 (Windows) tool from UK support (down of their page, guessing you have windows) ... unzip it
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

Latest firmware is 3.6.6.2 & use 232201 modem code, which is fine for most lines or any other you prefer
For the Plus model (dual wan 2.4 & 5G) here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/Dual%20band/v3.6.6.2_DB/Vigor2830_db_v3.6.6.2_AnnexA/
Note you need to use the *rst* file and Not the *all*

follow this order to avoid time outs (have the upgrade tool ready and stand by first)
-turn off the 2830
-Disable temporary firewall at pc
-use ethernet cable from the 2830 to the pc & not via wifi

-open the utility upgrade tool 3.6.5
- type at IP address 192.168.1.1 (make sure the pc is at the same ip example 192.168.1.xxx)
-load the firmware with the rst file(is recommended for your case)
-password leave it blank & if timeout or any other message try admin
- leave there the upgrade tool open & stand by ...

While the 2830 is off ... press and hold gently the front small reset button ... turn on the modem while the reset button is still under gently press ... and while the leds starts flashing ... let go the small reset button ... and press the send button at the upgrade tool before the leds at modem stops flashing fast

If any problem come back before gets permanent damage

• jonmach
  • Topic Author
More
17 Feb 2014 09:07 #3 by jonmach
Replied by jonmach on topic Re: Fried my 2830n
Thanks very much for this. I'm not having a lot of luck with it as all my machines are now Windows7 and they can't seem to hold an IP address unless there is an active network around. This also includes a fixed IP address would you believe. I will have to work out how to get around this. It's a shame there is no up-to-date Mac equivalent tool.

I will let you know as soon as I can.

Many thanks

More
17 Feb 2014 12:25 #4 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Fried my 2830n
Unless you have manually have change the ip of ou windows 7 (network & sharing centre>local area>properties>ipv4) ... is very easy just open the tool>set it>have it stand by>open the modem with the order & the reset button in press while you power on the modem ...this way puts the modem at special mode & does not need an active connection ... i have done it many times with W7 & now W8.1 plus few other users, one example here
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18763

• jonmach
  • Topic Author
More
17 Feb 2014 14:08 #5 by jonmach
Replied by jonmach on topic Re: Fried my 2830n
OK, so apparently the problem around the network not being live was because Windows7 uses MediaSense. I did disable this but it still didn't work.

For those who have this problem in the future, get yourself a simple Hub/Switch, and use that as a 'network', which will fool Windows into thinking it is connected. The light on the network card will light up and you'll magically see your IP address.

Once that was done, your reset instructions worked perfectly.

Thanks so much - I now have spare router :)

Moderators: Sami