DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930 load balancing help , 20meg and 10meg connections..

More
24 Jul 2009 11:43 #7 by ricin
I am in a similar boat to you on this one. Just took delivery of a new Draytek 2820 yesterday to do pretty much what you want to do. Not had chance to set it up yet but I would hope it can do those things.

My old Router was a Netgear FVS124G and that did exactly what you describe. It would download from news servers that allow multiple connections. Then the Router would indeed load balance and max out both my connections.

For regular downloads I used a download manager called Flashget. Which for example when I downloaded any files via that it would also max out both my internet connections going through the load balanced Netgear router. I live a long way from the telephone exchange. So it meant instead of downloading at about 340k per second it would download at 670k per second approx.

I would have stayed with that router if it never died on me. Hence the reason of buying the Draytek 2820. Which if its got load balancing I would hope it can at least match what the Netgear could do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chrisbrown
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2009 14:04 #8 by chrisbrown
hi ricin i think i may get this netgear you speak of an sell this draytek as it seems you may have had an easier time setting it up , although the draytek is probably a better built product its no good if i cant get it to do what i want and there is not much of a community as it isny as popular as names like netgear

iff you manage to get yours working please let me know in this thread or pm and i will do the same but for now im just hoping someone with the same setup as us happens to spot this thread an gives us the pointers we need

More
24 Jul 2009 21:59 #9 by ricin
OK bit of an update spent most of tonight trying to get it working. My set up is fairly complicated as I run my own Web & Mail Server. I got my head around the firewall rules and pretty much working.

Then started on the Load Balancing. It seems pretty hit and miss from what I could see. There was times it would work then others it just did not more not than did if you see what I mean.

Now I am fed up with it shame its a nice router just to much messing to get it working.

I am going to send it back to where I bought it from and source a Netgear FVS124G as I know that will do exactly what I want and take about 10 minutes to set up...

One word of warning if you go down the Netgear route. It has no built in modem. So you would need to bridge 2 Modems to be able to use it. Opposed to only needing to bridge 1 for the Draytek.

• chrisbrown
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2009 22:20 #10 by chrisbrown
thanks for the update and info ricin , i think i will follow your lead an ditch the draytek

i am using two cable connectins i will have to find if netgear does a suitable twin wan solution like my current 2930

i hope its as easy to set up the netgear as you say , it shouldnt be that hard if all you want to do is simply combine your links , atleasst some in depth documentation would have helped !

cheers for your input

Moderators: Sami