DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

More
02 Sep 2009 21:01 #13 by joeyconcrete
Replied by joeyconcrete on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
I don't doubt you're credentials and I don't need you to teach me malicious acts - I just don't see how Facebook can be deemed a risk over any other website. I only asked you to qualify that statement.

The most common interaction with FaceBook is going to be with a web browser, which suggests the issue is thus with the browser, a plugin or the OS - which could be exploited by any website which has the potential for user-submitted content, hence my example of a forum. There's nothing specific on the Facebook website that can't be replicated elsewhere, whether that be a Flash player, Java or a specific browser exploit.

Which is why I asked for an example.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2009 22:37 #14 by ryster
Replied by ryster on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

Mordorf wrote: It's not just about stopping users wasting company time, it's more about securing and optimising company resources. There are few things worse than a network riddled with various malwares. I know, I've been on the rough end and had to clean things up many a time. This can, in extreme cases, close a business down which would cause many an angry employee I'm sure. Bandwidth usage should also be a priority, how annoyed would you be if at 12:30 you needed to quickly book a business trip only to find internet access so slow due to numerous users watching youtube. Facebook and the likes are primarily for leisure and business is business.
Put another way if you had a Ferrari would you let me drive it into the rough side of town and park it up for an hour or so? No, simply because you know that if not today then certainly on another day the car would be vandalised or stolen. Similarly give a bunch of users unrestricted internet access and sooner or later someone will do something that vandalises the network.

Well I don't know how other companies do it, but in our company the bandwidth allocated for web browsing is separate and distinct to the bandwidth used for business services such as email and VPN connections. We can also then use that web bandwidth as a backup connection in case the primary email/vpn links suffer any failure.

Additionally we use more monitoring and reporting (getting departmental managers involved to "educate" users) than outright blocking. Inappropriate use during business hours is reported on, the user spoken to, and then only escalated to HR if it continues.

More
04 Sep 2009 13:22 #15 by mordorf
Replied by mordorf on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

JoeyConcrete wrote: Please elaborate oh Mr CEH. I'm interested to know how Facebook can be more dangerous than any other website.

OK I'll elaborate a little oh Mr Know-it-All!!!! But there is far more to Facebook than this article indicates.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/04/month_facebook_flaws/

I do wish people would refrain from discussing what they quite obviously do not understand as all it achieves is a lot of people believing something that quite simply isn't true.

:wink:

More
04 Sep 2009 13:58 #16 by joeyconcrete
Right .. XSS, Clickjacking and its variants. Which echos my point that this is by no means unique to Facebook? phpBB, Bebo, Flickr, mySpace - have all had similar problems.

I do wish people would refrain from discussing what they quite obviously do not understand as all it achieves is a lot of people believing something that quite simply isn't true.

Quite. Perhaps you should come down off your high-horse and actually read what I said.

More
04 Sep 2009 15:38 #17 by mordorf
Replied by mordorf on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

JoeyConcrete wrote: Right .. XSS, Clickjacking and its variants. Which echos my point that this is by no means unique to Facebook? phpBB, Bebo, Flickr, mySpace - have all had similar problems.

Quite. Perhaps you should come down off your high-horse and actually read what I said.

And maybe you should ACTUALLY read what I wrote. "Facebook is not completely benign" is what I stated and that is the fact of the matter. As for the high horse well I'm only stating the truth from an educated and experienced background where as you are quite obviously talking rubbish.
It takes a big person to admit they are wrong, you are obviously miniscule!
Now, I believe I have proffered such evidence to substantiate my claim and therefore I wish to waste no more time trying to educate a person of your mentality.

More
04 Sep 2009 15:52 #18 by joeyconcrete
Your 'benign' was in the context of malware\safety. My comment was Facebook poses no more risk than any other website that allows user-submitted content, to which I recall you ROFLMAO. To then go and essentially justify my statement with examples of XSS exploits which have and do affect thousands of websites only reinforces my point. Now, please explain how I was wrong or why I need educated?

Moderators: Sami