DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DNS passthrough issues (on a Vigor2800)

• bugmenot2
  • Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2010 14:14 #1 by bugmenot2
DNS passthrough issues (on a Vigor2800) was created by bugmenot2
Hi all. Been having some trouble trying to get my Vigor2800 to do what I want it to do.

Everything works fine as far as internet is concerned, but I'm trying to get the DNS to work as it's supposed to (or, at least, how I think it's supposed to be). The ISP's DNS servers are auto detected fine, but they have that irritating URL interception service for typos in URLs and the like, so I want to use Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, if it matters).

So, I go to the web interface and plug those numbers into LAN —> General Setup, and that's all well and good — except that all the connected devices get assigned those addresses directly. From what I understand, it's better if the router knows those addresses internally, and acts as a go-between for DNS (so everyone gets assigned 192.168.1.1 as their DNS server so the DNS proxy can take effect).

I found a writeup somewhere that advised using telnet and using 'srv dhcp dns1 x.x.x.x' (and 'dns2'), then entering 'srv dhcp frcdnsmanl on'. I'm sure this worked when I tried it last night, but I woke up this morning and while the router still shows the new DNS servers in place of where my ISP's autodetected ones would be, it's now directly assigning them to the clients rather than the router's address, which isn't what I want. Regardless, I can't get it back to how it was without removing the new addresses from LAN —> General Setup, at which point the clients get assigned 192.168.1.1 but the router goes back to using the DNS servers automatically assigned by the ISP.

Can anyone straighten this out for me? Thankyou!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami