DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help with BW Management/Traffic Shaping on Vigor 2930 4 VNC

More
21 Feb 2010 02:56 #1 by fedex
Tried best to fit my requirements into the title but ran out of space.

I'm in an environment with two WAN connections available to me; 50mbit VirginMedia and ADSL2+ (operating at around 8mbit) w/ a block of IP addresses. That is to say, the latter connection has a block of public IP addresses, enough that I can attach one to each of the devices on my network.
Normal inbound/outbound traffic all goes through the ADSL2+ connection.

However, I would like to install UltraVNC on several devices, and I would like any data throughput relating to this program to be routed solely through the 50mbit VirginMedia connection.

Is this achievable? I have not yet purchased a Vigor 2930 so if this device is not my best choice, please make a recommendation.
If you require more information, I apologize for not having provided it already, please do ask and I am subscribed to this thread so I will endeavour to reply promptly.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2010 08:21 #2 by njh
Presumably UltraVNC is like other VNC clones and typocally use port 5900. I suppose you could make each use a different port (5900 - 5910) and use port redirection. Your VM port would have to have an FQDN so you would always connect to that WAN port and get redirected to the correct PC's. This means that the Dynamic DNS client on the router needs to be able to work with a specified WAN port. One concern with this solution is that ports 5900 - 5910 cound be considered as "random high ports" and things like IE on your WAN could initiate a connection from 5900 and and this would be redirected to your VM connection rather than your ADSL one.

I do not know the 2930 so someone else would have to comment on this.

As a more secure option, when using VNC, it is better to connect in via a VPN. I believe the 2930 can force a VPN to use a specific WAN port, but again you must confirm that the Dynamic DNS client will work with WAN a specified WAN port. Using this option you do not need to use port redirection and it gets round the "random high port" issue.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
21 Feb 2010 12:35 #3 by fedex
Hi

Thanks very much for your response, I hadn't configured tunnelling the connection through a VPN, thereby giving me the option to force the route, and VPN is probably something that had I got to implementation stage I would be wanting to configure anyway so this is ideal.
It's likely the router (incidentally, I've looked at the product comparison chart and it looks like the 2820 has the same level of functionality in the areas I require it as the 2930, aswell as some other useful features in addition).
If the VirginMedia port itself could not be assigned a FQDN, perhaps running the dynDNS client on the devices themselves would work? Or do I need to be sure to connect specifically to the correct WAN port?

Are both devices capable of broadcasting multiple wireless networks simultaneously?

This is all quite new to me so if my questions make little sense or confuse matters, it's probably because I've misunderstood some detail of how this would potentially work.

More
21 Feb 2010 14:32 #4 by njh
All my knowledge is for single WAN port devices (2600's and 2900's) which is why I don't know about the dynamic DNS options. Perhaps you could download and look at the manual. Running a DynDNS client would also have the problem of which WAN IP it was using. I would hope the Draytek had a solution for its built-in client.

I am also not a wireless man so I can't answer that question.

I really believe VPN is the better way to go compared to opening ports. The main issue with VPN is making sure you can connect to it when you want. Sometimes, if you are behind someone else's router, you are limited in the type of VPN connection you can make. PPTP is fairly safe and fairly firewall friendly, and I believe OpenVPN is good but I have never used it.

More
21 Feb 2010 15:09 #5 by fedex
Hi

I've looked on both the UK and International sites in the Support sections for the actual manuals but they don't seem to be available.
However, as soon as I clicked into Technical FAQ>DDNS (http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_ddns.html) the screenshot on the left shows that there is an option to configure DDNS for each, or at least one or the other, of the WAN ports. There is no information available to confirm that that option is given on all current Draytek dual-WAN routers, do you think I can safely assume that that will be the case?

As for being behind other people's routers, I suppose this is something that I'll leave to end users.

More
21 Feb 2010 15:52 #6 by njh
User guides can be found here and on the main ftp site .

The technical FAQ also seems to give a good answer (i.e. that you can probably do what you want), but it may fail-over to the other WAN if the primary one goes down. Having said that, it both it and the VPN does fail over to the other WAN then it is even better!

If you have different end users, make sure you do not use the default LAN subnet at your end. It is used too commonly by other domestic router and for VPN's to work each end must be on a different subnet. I always say keep clear of 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.10.0/24, 192.168.11.0/24 and 192.168.100.0/24.

Moderators: Sami