DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820, dhcp, pxe and tftp

• zaitch
  • Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2013 22:37 #1 by zaitch
2820, dhcp, pxe and tftp was created by zaitch
I've tried for a few hours today to make my 2820 dhcp forward pxe requests onto a separate (NAS) server in my home.

I wondered whether anyone knew whether this was viable, the options suggest it should be. There was a thread elsewhere, some time ago about this - http://forum.draytek.com.my/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64 I'm on the latest 2820 firmware 3.3.7_232201 which dates back to late 2011 I think.

I've been watching with wireshark, and debugging using a custom ROM image to debug DHCP options
( see http://rom-o-matic.net/gpxe/gpxe-1.0.1/contrib/rom-o-matic/ )

In essence, I am trying to PXE boot a VMWare Fusion VM. The router is the DHCP provider, and my (QNAP) NAS has a TFTP server.
The TFTP server definitely works and I can manually transfer images from my laptop directly.

The router is setup as follows:

Code:
> srv dhcp custom_option -v Custom DHCP option settings: ----------------------------------------------- enable this feature: Yes option type: two options, each with 32B data, please see (a),(b) below (a) Custom DHCP option 1 [status: ACTIVE]: code: 66 len: 14 data: 192.168.10.100 (b) Custom DHCP option 2 [status: ACTIVE]: code: 67 len: 10 data: pxelinux.0 > srv dhcp tftp 192.168.10.100 > srv dhcp tftp ? %% srv dhcp tftp % Now: 192.168.10.100 >

I can see DHCP passing thru the filenames, both with wireshark and the custom dhcp ROM and if I change it to something silly, I still see the pass thru. Same for the PXE Server IP address, it's in the packet.

However, the client never inherits the 10.100 IP, it always seems to go to 192.168.10.1 (the router IP) I'm at the limit of my tftp and dhcp knowledge now and have hit a brick wall.
When I use the debugging rom for example, "next-server" is always shown as 192.168.10.1 for example.

I suspect the problem lies at the draytek side or I guess is it possible the vmware fusion BIOS is misbehaving?

Has anyone achieved something similar to this setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2013 20:55 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: 2820, dhcp, pxe and tftp
I've played about with this at length and the answer is the 2820 (or any other draytek router right now except perhaps the 2130/2750) just can't. You need a DHCP server that can alter the BOOTP part of the DHCP packet, the draytek routers don't and they add DHCP option 66 / 67 which isn't what a PXE client is looking for

openWRT stuff can do that though :)

• zaitch
  • Topic Author
More
05 Nov 2013 21:14 #3 by zaitch
Replied by zaitch on topic Re: 2820, dhcp, pxe and tftp
Thanks for confirming - I'm not going mad :)

I'd partially reached this conclusion and am set on buying a wrt updateable router very shortly to rid myself of vendor firmware and get the functionality I want.

• lp.descamps
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jul 2015 22:10 #4 by lp.descamps
Replied by lp.descamps on topic Re: 2820, dhcp, pxe and tftp
hi

i fixed the issue via cli

srv dhcp tftp 192.168.1.55
srv dhcp option -e 1 -i 1 -s 192.168.1.55
srv dhcp option -e 1 -i 1 -c 67 -v netbootme.kpxe