DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WOL over internet broken(?) on 2960 (again?)

• azzola
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2014 13:51 #1 by azzola
Hi,
since last fw update (1.0.7.1 -> 1.0.8) i think, if i remember right, i did not use WOL over internet... until Yesterday and puff, nothing happens anyumore =S . i'm trying to understand but i didn't touch anything related, only works inside the LAN (with DDNS too), from outside nothing.
Since i bought the 2960 router i'm successfully using a Bind-IP-Mac 192.168.x.254->FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and a portfoward related rule range-to-range to that IP on port starting from 6 to 9 (to cover all the possible ports used by this standard); from outside the LAN even connecting through VPN i can't fire up any device enabled, nor disabling firewall at all.

Do you know about issue related on 1.0.8? or is possible i did something wrong elsewhere? recently i touched VLANs but i don't think in a way related to this problem...

Thanks in advance.
Cris

PS: I tried also to modify the BindIP-Mac directly to one WOL device enebled Mac instead of the Broadcast Mac...nothing too. Others have the same problem with fw 1.0.8 ? WOL now works only inside the LAN; to add more meat on the fire... also seems not working anymore the SSH/Telnet command so i can't use it anymore to send Wake over internet. :evil: :cry:

2960 + many AP800

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2015 08:55 #2 by c128
This is an old post...but I seem to be suffering the same issue, but with a 2860.

I'm using 3.7.4.2 and waking an internal server.
Everything works fine when a client has an IP address within my LAN, but packets sent from external clients don't seem to be turning up.

Don't know when this stopped working - it might be after I upgraded from a 2820 to a 2860.

Similar to the OP, I have the server's IP bound to the MAC address, and "NAT | Open Ports" opening UDP ports 7-9 directly to the server's IP.

If I take an Android phone as an example sending a WOL packet, and looking at the traffic in Wireshark:

* When it's connected to the 2860's wi-fi, the packets are shown in Wireshark - server wakes up
* When it's connected to 3G/4G, the packets aren't shown in Wireshark - obviously the server doesn't wake up

All settings in the Android WOL app are the same between tests - the server specified is my own domain that points to the IP of WAN2 on the 2860.

Does anyone have WOL working externally with a 2860?
Any ideas of things to try/how to dig into this?

More
31 May 2015 09:07 #3 by c128
Actually, just got this working, thanks to this post:

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18438&p=76565&hilit=wake+on+lan#p76565

...putting this here in case anyone else suffers from this, but everything seems to start working if you telnet into the router than apply the following:

wol fromWan any

More
31 May 2015 09:36 #4 by c128
Nope, tell a lie, it's not working again.

Same questions then, really :( .

Does anyone have WOL packets being received successfully from outside the LAN using a 2860 (or similar)?

More
31 May 2015 12:01 #5 by c128
Newp - no combination of stuff gets this working externally.

I've also followed the instructions here too:

http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2765:wake-on-lan-application-wake-your-lan-computer-remotely-via-tool&Itemid=293&lang=en

So that's issuing both of the following over telnet:

wol fromWan any
wol fromWan on

...no joy though.

I've also upgraded the firmware to 3.7.8.1, but also no change: Wireshark shows no WOL packets unless the client issuing them has an IP on the LAN.

I've raised a support request, so will see what comes out of that.

More
06 Jun 2015 08:59 #6 by c128
No-one else make use of sending WOL packets to a 2860 (or similar) from an external source that could give a "yes/no" on whether it is working?

I have a support request open with Draytek, but it feels like this would be a bigger reported issue if truly broken...