Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2925n-plus - failover problems

• solisinfotech
  • Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2016 12:16 #1 by solisinfotech
2925n-plus - failover problems was created by solisinfotech
Hi Folks,

I have a simple setup, that doesn't appear so simple as I cant get the FailOver to work properly.

Setup:
Vigor2925n-plus
WAN1 - BT Openreach VDSL modem (the white box one) in pppoe mode, always on, loadbalance ticked (my residential line)
WAN2 - BT HomeHub 5 VDSL in 'modem' mode i.e. and its 'static or dynamic IP' as access type (by Business line)

Loadbalancing set so my work PCs use WAN2, and the family PCs' etc use WAN1. both failing over and failing back if the connection drops for either.

If WAN1 loses internet, it fails to WAN2, then fails back on reconnect - all well and good :)
If WAN2 loses internet, it doesn't fail over at all..... :(

HOWEVER if I unplug the WAN2 cable to the homehub5 then it fails over as expected.

For WAN2 the full setup is:
(dynamic IP from bt - I've not set that up as I don't need a static IP)

So, anyone know how to failover a static IP connected WAN modem??

Much appreciated.

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nrb501
  • User
  • User
More
10 Apr 2016 19:21 #2 by nrb501
Replied by nrb501 on topic Re: 2925n-plus - failover problems
First off, could you post the firmware version you are running as there can be known "features" on different versions.

I'm not completely familiar with the 2925 but it seems odd that that the 'Connection Detection' for WAN2 is set to 'Always on' I would expect the setting to be either ARP or ping detect. I would expect the setting you have is stopping the router from looking for a WAN2 failure condition.

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
03 Oct 2016 19:38 #3 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: 2925n-plus - failover problems
nrb501 is quite right here, "Always On" on the 2925 will never see the interface as down, but it's not as straightforward as it seems (I've finally got HA (hot standby) and dual WAN failover working on a pair of 2925s.)
The symptoms you are describing are precisely what I have been fighting with for a while. My setup is very similar too..
WAN 1 - BT Openreach VDSL in PPPoE mode
WAN 2 - Virgin Broadband 152 SuperHub 2AC in modem mode
ARP Detect used for WAN Connection Detection

If WAN 1 loses internet, failover to WAN 2 is instant
If WAN 2 loses internet, there is no failover
If I UNPLUG the cable to the WAN 2 interface, failover is instant

Long and short of the problem is/was that my Virgin Superb was occasionally losing it's DHCP assigned address, and dropping back to a default address of 192.168.100.1 for, maybe a couple of minutes. In that time, any user going out over WAN 2 noticed problems with pages loading/connections (hardly surprising !) but I could never figure out why, then one day, I just happened to be logged onto one of the 2925s when this happened, looked at the router's GUI and could see the 192.168.100.1 address on the WAN interface, so as far as the router was concerned, the interface was UP, hence no failover. The Superb sorted itself out, got a real address again, and all was well.

The answer seems to lie in using a ping test for the WAN status (since it will fail to go out to the internet under these conditions) BUT even that hasn't fully solved the problem - if the WAN interface doesn't have time to fully "come up" inside the time limit (number of pings x delay), it gets set to "Down", the other interface takes over (great !) but this one never gets back online (boo !)

Sorry this doesn't give a definitive answer to your question, but I hope it'll explain what (I think) is causing the problem. I will update this post once I get a definitive answer on my own set up.
All the best
Simon

More
22 Nov 2016 20:36 #4 by clivers
Replied by clivers on topic Re: 2925n-plus - failover problems
If you use a modem then the failover only works if the connection to the modem fails. I just ping google dns once every 30 seconds and that works fine as it detects no outward conection and shuts the wan connection down.