Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860ac - WiFi locks until reset if signal becomes weak

• proxima
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Aug 2016 11:33 #1 by proxima
I've got a new 2860ac, all set up and running well - but I'm having one problem which is making it basically unusable for WiFi. I'll describe it as clearly as I can:

I am using 2.4GHz WiFi, with the 'default' settings: So the mode is 'Mixed b/g/n', on auto channel, one SSID which is secured with mode 'Mixed (WPA+WPA2)/PSK. All pretty standard I think.

All my mobile devices can connect to it, and initially all appears to be well.

However, after a while, mobile devices become unable to access the internet, even through the WiFi connection itself is still showing as 'up' (according both to the mobile devices, and the 2860).

After a bit of experimentation, I've discovered that the problem seems to occur if a mobile device is taken to a part of the house where the signal is weak, *but* not weak enough to drop the connection completely. If I try to access a service (or the device polls email for example), and that fails due to weak signal, then even when I bring the mobile device back right next to the 2860 where the signal is strong, it is as if the internet connection has 'given up' and won't work again until I stop/start WiFi on the mobile device in question (other mobile devices that were always in range carry on as normal). This happens with all mobile devices I've tried it on, namely a Samsung Galaxy S4, an S5 mini, and a Nexus 10. In each case the symptom is the same - once the WiFi has become 'nearly out of range' of the mobile device and a connection has failed (but the WiFi connection is still just up, showing maybe 1 bar), then even when I come back to close range, it becomes unable to access the router again afterwards until a total WiFi stop/start on the mobile device has been done.

If I take a mobile device *completely* out of range, so the WiFi connection drops totally, and then come back in range, it reconnects and works fine, the same as if I switch WiFi off/on again.

But having to constantly 'restart' WiFi on any mobile device that has been to a marginal area is going to be a pain: it happens all the time as I move around the house.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can resolve this? Other WiFi access points I have used do not have this problem - mobile devices can go in and out of range (and to marginal areas and back again) without having to restart anything manually.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
23 Aug 2016 16:48 #2 by mbames
I'd question the need for B (and maybe G).

I have Mixed (11g+11n) set on 2925, but 11g might be fine if all your devices are suitably modern.

• proxima
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Aug 2016 17:06 #3 by proxima
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I just tried setting it to '11n Only', and connected from the mobile device again.

Same result: It connects fine and I can use it, but when I move to a point where there are 0 or 1 bars of WiFi showing (but still some connection, i.e. not a total WiFi drop), and try to do something it fails (as you'd expect) - but when I move the mobile device back in range, it still fails - i.e. it doesn't seem to realise it has a strong signal back until I disable/reenable WiFi on the mobile.

I know it almost sounds like the mobile devices are at fault, but all my mobile devices do this with this router, but all work normally with other access points I've had.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
24 Aug 2016 09:41 #4 by mbames
In Wireless LAN >> Advanced Settings what do you have configured?

OP: Mixed Mode
CB: 20/40
GI: auto
MSDUL: E
Preamble: D
Overdrive: D
TX: 100%
WMM: E
APSD: D

• proxima
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Aug 2016 12:12 #5 by proxima
OP: Mixed Mode
CB: 20/40
GI: auto
MSDU: E
Preamble: D
Overdrive: D
TX: 100
WMM: E
APSD: D
Rate adaption: New
Frag length: 2346
RTS Threshold: 2347

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
25 Aug 2016 10:13 #6 by mbames
Setting look to be the same as mine, so might be worth raising a ticket with support - the wifi card might be faulty.... (in previous units ie. 2800, the wifi card was a card clipped into the board).

Alternatively what angles are the aerials at? Tried rotating the unit by 30deg and seeing if that helps? I have my 2925 in the loft (in a metal coms cab), but the aerials I have extended out and mounted under the cab.