Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

4g USB Failover (NAT) Issues

• pannarrans
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2017 16:36 #1 by pannarrans
4g USB Failover (NAT) Issues was created by pannarrans
Hi,

I have just purchased a Huawei E3372 Modem - it seems to be a NAT one despite ordering a PPP version, but either way. Still struggling with setting this up for a Failover WAN link.
I also have 2 other WAN links - WAN1 (VSDL) & WAN2 (Ethernet). I'm wanting to retire the WAN1 and go to a 4G Modem to save money on a backup Internet link. I don't want to failover everything to the Modem if WAN2 goes down, only certain essential devices.

I've set it up on WAN3 and receive a NAT IP (192.168.8.100). If I create a load balance rule for a single device (say iPad) and nominate that WAN and perform a whatsmyipaddress.org I can tell that a) I'm getting an IP address (213.x) from the modem and Internet traffic is working.
The issue comes if I unplug my WAN2&WAN1 link. My iPad no longer picks up the internet, yet I can see that the WAN3 is still up. Now at this point there should be no failover rules in place because technically I haven't failed over. If I do a Load Balancing Diagnosis, its going out on the same rule it was before, but now, no Internet. If I plug the WAN1&2 back in, I get internet.

I can only think that there is DNS traffic going through WAN1 or 2. Anyone any ideas?

I haven't even managed to get my normal load balance rules to failover to the new WAN3, so for the moment, just trying to sort out this particular issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oviano
  • User
  • User
More
26 Nov 2018 15:08 #2 by oviano
Replied by oviano on topic Re: 4g USB Failover (NAT) Issues
Did you ever resolve this?

Seems like it’s similar to what I am experiencing albeit I’m trying to connect in from the outside:

https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22723

If it’s the same issue you had it suggests it’s not DNS-related as I’m coming in from the outside. Might be a different issue of course!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.