AP900 linked to another AP900 and VLAN tags

• zigzak
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Feb 2019 15:41 #1 by zigzak
Hello,

Summary of my question is: Can I have an AP900 which will accept both tagged and untagged traffic incoming on LAN, retain the tags, and forward both tagged and untagged traffic back out to another LAN port.

I've got the following set-up which works fine:
Vigor 2860 configured with two subnets - one for staff use (LAN1), one for guest use (LAN2). I have one AP900 configured with both SSIDs - the guest one is set to VLAN tag 5, the Staff one is untagged. I've set all the ports in the router to accept VLAN5 and allocate to LAN2. The ports are also set to accept untagged traffic which will go to LAN1.

This works great - the AP900 and the 2860 both offer both SSIDs and connections are allocated to the appropriate subnet.

HOWEVER we have now added a second AP900 - due to its location the LAN cable actually runs back to the first AP900 rather than directly to the router. This is causing me a headache with VLAN tags!

The second AP900 is set exactly the same as the first - an untagged staff SSID, and VLAN Tag 5 guest SSID. But the VLAN 5 traffic never gets to the router - so the guest wifi doesn't work.

I'm assume that the AP900 which is in the middle isn't passing the VLAN5 tagged traffic onwards - it is possible to get it to do this?

I'm stumped!

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.