2862 cannot detect WAN2?

• evan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Jan 2020 17:01 #1 by evan
2862 cannot detect WAN2? was created by evan
I'm just running up a new 2862n, but I can't make it recognise P5/WAN2.

My setup is a PlusNet Hub One on the DSL line, and I'm intending to connect the 2862 to one of the Ethernet ports on the hub (so no direct DSL connection to the 2862; the other ports on the hub are effectively DMZ'ed).

If I ignore the 2862 and connect the cable from the hub directly to a laptop, then:
  • the laptop can connect to the net through the hub

• the network diagram on the PlusNet hub shows the laptop connected to LAN1

If I carry out a factory reset on the 2862, and then connect the same cable to P5/WAN2 instead of the laptop:

• The WAN LED on the 2862 stays off, but the Enet LEDs on P5/WAN2 come on, with the activity LED flashing occasionally

• 'Online status -> Physical connection' shows no activity on WAN2 (all red)

• The hub network diagram shows no connection to the 2862

Note that WAN2 has 'Static or Dynamic IP' enabled by default, so my understanding is that a connection to a hub on WAN2, with no DSL connection on WAN1, should work out-of-the-box. Is the 2862 broken, or have I set something up incorrectly?

I have also tried various other setups on the 2862, with no effect:
  • explicitly disabled WAN1, WAN3, and WAN4

• manually set up WAN2 with 'Static or Dynamic IP' enabled

• set 'WAN connection detection' to 'always on' instead of 'ARP detect'

• enabled IPv6 on WAN2

The 2862 did talk to the hub at some point while I was doing this, because the hub has a record that it assigned an IP address to the 2862.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• evan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jan 2020 15:15 #2 by evan
Replied by evan on topic Re: 2862 cannot detect WAN2?
Fixed after a few hours of pointless messing about. It turns out that the 2862n/3.9.0_BT can't talk DHCP from WAN2 to a PlusNet Hub One.

The Hub One is a rebranded BT HomeHub 5, and is ancient, and has presumably been talking DHCP for the past 10 years, so I'm guessing that the Vigor is at fault.

I set WAN 2 to a static IP address, and the WAN2 LED came on, and I could then access the internet. This isn't easy, because the Hub One is difficult to set up for fixed IP addresses, and the 2862 insists that LAN1 and WAN2 should be on different subnets (why? Surely they're completely separated inside the 2862?)

Another problem: the LAN settings page allows LAN1 to have different main IP and gateway address, and I initially set these to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.40 respectively. One computer on the network thought that the gateway was at 192.168.1.1, and this computer could reach the internet. Another one thought that the gateway was at 192.168.1.40, and it couldn't reach the internet. I fixed this by setting both addresses to 192.168.1.40.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.