Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2925 - Allow Users on LAN5 to acess LAN1

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2020 15:49 #7 by hornbyp

ptzulu wrote:
The problem I'm having is, the company uses 192.168.1.x IP range (the most standard thing possible) and so the most people. So, when connecting through the VPN, the problem is the because they are on the same range of IPs, then can't connect to the Company IPs, let's say, NAS server, witch is 192.168.1.7.

If the exact same IP address is in use on the user's LAN and the Company LAN, you would struggle to get it to work - but, hopefully this won't be the case. Ideally, you would want the home users to reconfigure their ISP-supplied routers to use a different DHCP range altogether, though I appreciate this may be difficult to organise.

If there isn't an identical IP address involved, you may still be able to get this to work. Assuming the use of Draytek's Smart VPN Client,
have a look at "Step2. >> Setup >> "More" >> "Add more Routing".

If you add (for example) "192.168.1.7 - 255.255.255.255" to there, does it help?

(What you need to do, is tell the Client that it needs to 'route' to get to the target machine; that searching the local subnet with ARP, is not going to find it. )

If you're not using Smart VPN Client, you'd have to manually add a Route on the client, using something like "Route add 192.168.1.7 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.x" (where x would change every time the VPN connects, which is awkward to say the least).

(Adding a new LAN to the 2925, with a totally new IP range, that is then specified in the 'Teleworker setup' for the VPN client might help in avoiding routing confusion.(It just defaults to "LAN1")

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ptzulu
  • Topic Author
More
16 Mar 2020 21:30 #8 by ptzulu

hornbyp wrote:

ptzulu wrote:
The problem I'm having is, the company uses 192.168.1.x IP range (the most standard thing possible) and so the most people. So, when connecting through the VPN, the problem is the because they are on the same range of IPs, then can't connect to the Company IPs, let's say, NAS server, witch is 192.168.1.7.

If the exact same IP address is in use on the user's LAN and the Company LAN, you would struggle to get it to work - but, hopefully this won't be the case. Ideally, you would want the home users to reconfigure their ISP-supplied routers to use a different DHCP range altogether, though I appreciate this may be difficult to organise.

If there isn't an identical IP address involved, you may still be able to get this to work. Assuming the use of Draytek's Smart VPN Client,
have a look at "Step2. >> Setup >> "More" >> "Add more Routing".

If you add (for example) "192.168.1.7 - 255.255.255.255" to there, does it help?

(What you need to do, is tell the Client that it needs to 'route' to get to the target machine; that searching the local subnet with ARP, is not going to find it. )

If you're not using Smart VPN Client, you'd have to manually add a Route on the client, using something like "Route add 192.168.1.7 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.x" (where x would change every time the VPN connects, which is awkward to say the least).

(Adding a new LAN to the 2925, with a totally new IP range, that is then specified in the 'Teleworker setup' for the VPN client might help in avoiding routing confusion.(It just defaults to "LAN1")

So, all Teleworkers (VPN Users) are on LAN 4, with 10.0.0.x , 255.255.255.0 range. Some manage to connect to router, some not, wich is a bummer..
The problem is ISP in my country (portugal) block the ISP provided router from changing the default DHCP range, wich sucks. In my house i have a second router to manage everything, and tested with another range, everything good. But when changing to 192.168.1.x range, all goes to hell :)

Can i say, in drytek, something like: all connections to 10.0.0.7 -> 192.168.1.7? I don't know if there is something like IP forwarding ahah but, what the hell...

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Mar 2020 00:40 #9 by hornbyp

ptzulu wrote:
So, all Teleworkers (VPN Users) are on LAN 4, with 10.0.0.x , 255.255.255.0 range. Some manage to connect to router, some not, which is a bummer...

Perhaps some of them have been issued 192.168.1.7 by their own routers? Even if they can't change the DHCP range for the LAN, can they at least 'reserve' an IP address that doesn't clash ... such as 192.168.1.100, or whatever - anything you're not using at the other end.

Incidentally, that LAN4 range isn't 'standard'. (You would normally describe it as 10.x.y.z 255.0.0.0). You may have done it on purpose - which is fine - but check you haven't declared it differently, in different places).

and he wrote:
Can i say, in draytek, something like: all connections to 10.0.0.7 -> 192.168.1.7? I don't know if there is something like IP forwarding ahah but, what the hell...

No, because the problem is at the client-end - the data never makes it to the Draytek.

What's happening is:-
The user connects to their LAN, and is given an IP address - let's say it is 192.168.1.3. Their PC accepts and configures this, along with a route 192.168.1.0 => 192.168.1.3 (for example). You can see this with the "Route print" command (it will say "Gateway is 'On-link'").

If they try and access 192.168.1.7, the client knows from this, that the address is on the local LAN - and just starts using ARP (on its local network adaptor), to ask "Tell me the MAC address of the machine with the IP address of 192.168.1.7"; nothing has, so nothing answers :(

This situation doesn't change when the VPN is connected - even though "Route Print" will show that they have acquired a 10.0.0.x address in addition to their original 192.168.1.3 (say).

The client needs to be told, that 192.168.1.7 is not local, but is at the other end of the VPN. The info. I gave above, about adding it to SmartVPN, should do this - although I have never actually tried it.

Otherwise, you would have to manually add the 'route', once the VPN is established.
Say the VPN client receives 10.0.0.7 as its address :-
Code:
C:\>route add 192.168.1.7 mask 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.7 OK!

Obviously this is inconvenient! If you change their 'Teleworker' dial-in account, so that they receive a static IP address every time they connect, you can add a permanent route, using
the "-p" option :-
Code:
C:\>route add -p 192.168.1.7 mask 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.7 OK!

(You can use the 'tracert -d 192.168.1.7' command to see where the traffic is actually going. (-d says don't waste time doing DNS lookup, that will probably fail)).

• ptzulu
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2020 20:26 #10 by ptzulu
Sorry for the long delay to answer, but, things got a little crazy in portugal...

So, i understood everything, except one thing...
What i wanted to do, if its possible, is:

- Teleworker is given the Remote IP 10.0.0.30
- Company effective IP for NAS is 192.168.1.7
- Draytek router, routes all trafic that is sent to 10.0.0.7 -> 192.168.1.7.

That would mean, if it's even possible, that every teleworker could use the standard local ip range of their own routers, and, when tried to connect to the NAS via VPN, via 10.0.0.7, the draytek would then redirect to 192.168.1.7 IP.
Trying the same anology for port forwarding, when, public por is 55, and local port is 1234...

i don't know if it's even possible....

Thank you for your kind support

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
22 Mar 2020 01:36 #11 by hornbyp

ptzulu wrote:
What i wanted to do, if its possible, is:
That would mean, if it's even possible, that every teleworker could use the standard local ip range of their own routers, and, when tried to connect to the NAS via VPN, via 10.0.0.7, the draytek would then redirect to 192.168.1.7 IP.
Trying the same analogy for port forwarding, when, public port is 55, and local port is 1234...

I'm sure it's technically possible - sort of applying NAT to VPN users as well as the WAN - but I don't think the Vigor can do it :cry: .

I'm sure the easiest approach, would be to try and add that routing information to SmartVPN ... have you tried it? ... did it fail?

As another thought ... you could possibly add a second IP address to the server of 10.0.0.7 ...

You've not said what sort of server it is, but in Windows, you can do it fairly easily (without needing an actual hardware adaptor) :-

Make sure that the application running on the server is bound to 10.0.0.7, as well as 192.168.1.7. (That part will be application dependent)
(You may also need to prevent some things binding to 10.0.0.7; some software can get confused otherwise)

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Mar 2020 17:57 #12 by hornbyp

hornbyp wrote:
I'm sure the easiest approach, would be to try and add that routing information to SmartVPN ... have you tried it? ... did it fail?

I hadn't realised - because I don't actually use SmartVPN much, but the Release Notes for V5.0.0 says:

Release Notes wrote:
Automatic detection of the same local and remote subnet, if this occurs, SmartVPN will
prompt to add more subnet settings to access remote servers

Which implies it is both handled and supported...