2762ac + VigorAP 802 same SSID?

• jack0
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2021 12:24 #1 by jack0
2762ac + VigorAP 802 same SSID? was created by jack0
I'm looking to upgrade my trusty 2760n which seems to randomly hang. I currently only use the draytek as a VDSL router and have a non-draytek 'mesh' with gigabit ethernet backhall between the nodes providing wifi which means that there is a single SSID for the whole house and devices roam between them.

I was looking at the 2762ac router with a VigorAP 802 to upgrade the existing setup but I can't seem to see if I can recreate the single SSID and have devices roam between nodes. Can anyone that have this setup confirm if there is a single SSID for both the router and AP or if you have to create separate SSIDs for the router and AP? Or do I need the 2862ac for that functionality?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2021 18:39 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2762ac + VigorAP 802 same SSID?

jack0 wrote:
I was looking at the 2762ac router with a VigorAP 802 to upgrade the existing setup but I can't seem to see if I can recreate the single SSID and have devices roam between nodes. Can anyone that have this setup confirm if there is a single SSID for both the router and AP or if you have to create separate SSIDs for the router and AP?

I don't have a 2762AC (but do have an AP802). The 2762AC appears to have the "Minimum RSSI Roaming" feature, whereby multiple Draytek AP's agree on moving a Wifi Client (by forcibly disconnecting and temporarily blocking it).

Minimum RSSI with Adjacent AP RSSI over X
* Disconnect clients with bad signal to encourage roaming only when they can have better signal through another DrayTek AP.
* All APs must be DrayTek APs which support this feature. The LANs assigned by the SSID of all APs must be connected by Ethernet and under the same subnet.

It might be worth asking Draytek if the 2762 and AP802 can cooperate in this way (my older 2860 doesn't seem keen to join the party :cry: )
(It's worth noting, that Wifi Clients ultimately decide what they're going to (try to) connect to).

The single 'SSID + Roaming' configuration isn't a 'Mesh' feature, as such (that's primarily to do with 'routing' between Wifi nodes - which isn't applicable anyway, with a wired backhaul). If actually using wireless mesh, it's probably the underlying WDS mechanism that forces you to use the same SSID (and channel no.s). In wired AP mode, you can use the same or different, as you see fit.

It's true that when you first create a Draytek Mesh, all the APs are configured to use the same SSIDs and channels - giving the impression that it's 'created' something. However, if you then change the nodes to be wired, you can change the SSIDs/channels willy-nilly and the root node still considers it to be a 'Mesh'.

• jack0
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2021 17:15 #3 by jack0
Replied by jack0 on topic Re: 2762ac + VigorAP 802 same SSID?
Thanks, will try that.