Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2762 and Netatmo Cameras

• schphase
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2021 12:51 #1 by schphase
2762 and Netatmo Cameras was created by schphase
Hi
I now know how little I know about the IOT.

I have a bog standard Plusnet ONE router and apart from poor wifi, everything works, I wanted a 4G fallback dongle in case I lost my Broadband connection so I went and bought a Vigor 2762 and a Dlink stick, no problem works a treat.

Everything connected to the 2762 works ( Plusnet TV, tado (a hive type device), security alarm system etc) except the 5 Netatmo security cameras, of which 2 are wired (Welcome), 3 are wifi (Presence), these cameras constantly discconnect to the Netatmo servers.

Netatmo have given me a list of things to try:

try to temporarily disable any firewall or protection on your router. My knowledge is so poor I don't know how to do that

Then, please check if you can see any "VPN PassThrough" option (if yes, please enable it) Can't see anything called that

Finally, you can make sure to whitelist the following domains:

* *.netatmo.com
* *.netatmo.net
* *.cdn77.org
again not sure

And add port triggering rules for the port 500 and 4500 (UDP) for *.netatmo.net ??

Any idiots guide would be appreciated.
I guess ultimately I should stick the Draytek on eBay and use the Plusnet router

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2021 22:36 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2762 and Netatmo Cameras

schphase wrote:
Hi
I now know how little I know about the IOT.

I have a bog standard Plusnet ONE router and apart from poor wifi, everything works, I wanted a 4G fallback dongle in case I lost my Broadband connection so I went and bought a Vigor 2762 and a Dlink stick, no problem works a treat.

Everything connected to the 2762 works ( Plusnet TV, tado (a hive type device), security alarm system etc) except the 5 Netatmo security cameras, of which 2 are wired (Welcome), 3 are wifi (Presence), these cameras constantly discconnect to the Netatmo servers.

Netatmo have given me a list of things to try:

try to temporarily disable any firewall or protection on your router. My knowledge is so poor I don't know how to do that

Then, please check if you can see any "VPN PassThrough" option (if yes, please enable it) Can't see anything called that

Finally, you can make sure to whitelist the following domains:

* *.netatmo.com
* *.netatmo.net
* *.cdn77.org
again not sure

And add port triggering rules for the port 500 and 4500 (UDP) for *.netatmo.net ??

Any idiots guide would be appreciated.
I guess ultimately I should stick the Draytek on eBay and use the Plusnet router

Thanks

2762 is a *much better* router than the Plusnet one. Unfortunately, Netatmo products leave a lot to be desired. I have their weather station (3rd replacement) and it's starting to show the same problem of battery drainage as the previous ones.

If no-one offers a guide here, I'd recommend that you get in touch with Draytek support, rather than Netatmo support. Not only are the former more knowledgeable, but also it's their router so they should be able to advise you - overall, you have a problem with the router blocking a connection and so it's Draytek's stuff that you need help with.

Before you do that, try the following:

If you don't know how to switch the firewall off on the 2762, I recommend that you look at the manual on p. 234, where the firewall settings are explained (https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2762/older-firmware/firmware-3891/send/658-fw-3891/1174-ug-v2762-v10uk)

Remember that by switching off the firewall, you expose your connection to others. So, once you establish it's the firewall that's blocking your Netatmo connection, then you'll have to revisit the issue.

I don't know Netatmo's setup, but it's worth checking the UDP defense setup on the Draytek. You'll find the details on p. 248 and the guide on how many packets to set up for your connection type on the Defense setup page in the router's config page.

Hope this helps. If not, try getting in touch with Draytek. Also, encourage yourself to expand on your knowledge of what Draytek routers offer - it's worth it.

• schphase
  • Topic Author
More
12 May 2021 09:55 #3 by schphase
Replied by schphase on topic Re: 2762 and Netatmo Cameras
Thank you Edinburgh for your valued reply, I am reading up, it was just a pointer I needed, which you have given me.

Netatmo support have explained that the 5 cameras I have, all use separate VPN tunnels, in researching this on the Draytek website, I came across the following statement, this was not specific to my particular router, so it may be across all Draytek routers, so I have raised a ticket with Dratek support.

1. To pass through multiple outgoing IPsec tunnels, it requires that both the VPN client and server support NAT-Traversal (NAT-T). Without NAT-T, it only allows one outgoing IPsec VPN at the same time.

I have asked Netatmo if they support Nat -T

Thank you

More
12 May 2021 17:58 #4 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2762 and Netatmo Cameras
I may be wrong but you're not establishing a VPN on your router as in such a case, all traffic would be going via Netatmo servers, and that's not what is needed.