DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN Configuration

More
08 Aug 2023 23:50 #7 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Ok, I see you have a little more going on than just a Smart Hub alone, i.e. your phones and the ONT.

Which model ONT device do you have?:
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont

Which port on the ONT device is connected to which port on the Smart Hub 6 (as setup by the BT engineer)? A picture of this setup would be great.

Your 2927ax has quite an old firmware running on it, so you should update that as soon as you can. 4.4.2.3 is the latest firmware at the time of writing this.

You can download the latest firmware to any device that can connect to the 2927ax and the internet at the same time, update the firmware via that device; a mobile phone will work for this.
See System Maintenance>>Firmware Upgrade ‘Latest Firmware Details’ and download the latest firmware to your mobile device then upload that firmware to your Vigor and click the ‘Upgrade’ button to update it.

Also the time & date set on your Vigor is incorrect, so until you have internet access to the Vigor, just set this using the “Current Time” field at the top of the Dashboard and select ‘Use Browser Time” and then click ‘Inquire Time’; not majorly important but the wrong router time can cause other problems.

As a test, if you can connect a laptop directly to one of the Smart Hub 6 ethernet ports and obtain an IP address on your laptop that gives you internet access, there is no reason the Vigor shouldn't be able to do the same thing. It only needs a connection in the same way a laptop would, to get online, via the Smart Hub. (Please post the IP address details your laptop obtains too, if you do run this test)

If the laptop can successfully obtain an IP address but the Vigor can’t (via it’s WAN ports), there may be a problem with the Vigor, hence the need to upgrade the firmware, as soon as you can.

Also, you should observe green or orange ethernet port colouring at the top of the Dashboard GUI for ports that have cables connected to them - and an active connection, your screenshot has all the ethernet ports with no colour-indication in them at all, i.e. no physical connection established, that too may be a firmware issue, so again, update the Vigor.

Also, disable the ‘Load Balance’ tick boxes on the WAN>>General setup page; you only need these ticked if you have multiple WANs active and want to load-balance the WAN bandwidths.

Another quick question, did you purchase this Vigor router second-hand or was it new out-of-the-box, if second-hand, did you factory reset it before starting to use it?

Let me know how you get on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
09 Aug 2023 22:07 #8 by cosmarchy
Replied by cosmarchy on topic Re: VLAN Configuration
Hi,

It looks like the Nokia ONT
the end of the red wire going to port 1 of the Smart Hub 6. All setup by BT.

The firmware has now been updated, load balance disabled and time set

Unfortunately there is still no connection.

The first images didn't show the green connection on the WAN 1 port as I disconnected the router cable before took the screenshots so managed to capture the settings but not the status... :roll:

If I connect a computer directly to the Smart Hub I can obtain an IP address of 192.168.1.20 and can access the internet as you'd expect.

The router was brand new and out of the box. I unboxed about 6 months ago with the intention of trying to get this to work back then, but failed miserably and gave up so here I am trying again :shock:

Does seem to look like it is more to do with the 2927ax rather than the Smart Hub??? Could there be a conflict with the IP addresses between the 2927ax and the Smart Hub, perhaps?

More
09 Aug 2023 23:28 #9 by HodgesanDY
Hi Cosmarchy,

Yes! Your Smart Hub is on the same subnet as your Vigor’s LAN1.

Click on “LAN1” on the Dashboard page and change the subnet to something other than 192.168.1.*/24

Try changing the Vigor’s LAN1 settings to 192.168.10.1/24 in the ‘Network Configuration’ section and in the ‘DHCP Server Configuration’ section set the ‘Gateway IP Address’ to 191.168.10.1 and the ‘Starting IP Address’ to 192.168.10.2

(Leave the ONT to Smart Hub setup as the BT engineer had it, then use the port you plugged your laptop into on the Smart Hub, as the connection for the WAN1 port on the Vigor Router.)

Reboot the Vigor Router and test again!

I have also found some settings that should enable you to connect the ONT device directly to WAN1 of the Vigor Router, but, because you have the Digital Voice service running on your Smart Hub, there doesn’t seem to be a solution for hosting that service without the Smart Hub present.
I do not have a BT setup around me to test on, but, I have wondered if you could connect the ONT directly to the Vigor WAN1 port and apply the PPPoE settings to get online, then, connect the Smart Hub Port 2 to one of the spare LAN ports on the Vigor - it’s a slim chance, but, maybe the phones will come back online with that physical configuration and, you may even be able to disable the Wifi on the Smart Hub and use the Wifi on the Vigor for the phones to establish a connection to the Smart Hub via the Vigor, but this would all need testing and configuring slightly differently to how it is now; you’d need to turn off the DHCP service on the Smart Hub, for example, as it’ll fight with the DHCP server on the Vigor. Just a thought…
(There is some debate online as to whether you need the Smart Hub’s Wifi enabled or not, to active the phone system’s base-station feature on the Smart Hub; I know you said they stopped working when you disabled the Wifi on the Smart Hub, but if you had the Wifi connection established via the Vigor instead, it might just work!?)

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
10 Aug 2023 19:05 #10 by cosmarchy
Way-hay, WAN 1 has an IP address :D :D :D

The only slight issue I can see, before I embark on trying the VLAN configuration again, is that the devices on ports 2 and 3 have IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range as this is what the Smart Hub is.

Since switching the 2729ax to 192.168.10.x range I cannot access any of these devices. One of the ports goes off to a NAS device and the other port goes to a un-managed switch then on to a few other devices (TV, computer, PLCs etc) so is there a clever way to get around changing all these addresses over to the 192.168.10.x range?

I'll give your other suggestion a try and see if I can get the 2729ax connected to the ONT and maintain the phones. I'll need to make up a longer lead to connect the two temporarily and I'll pick up the parts for this at the weekend.

More
10 Aug 2023 21:33 #11 by HodgesanDY
Great news! :D

Just to clarify, are you saying that all your devices, connected to ports 2 & 3 of the Vigor, are manually configured, as in, they have manually set IP addresses?

If no, and they are set up to obtain an IP address automatically, then it sounds like they just need a reboot!

If they picked up their IP from the Smart Hub previously, and haven’t rebooted or requested a renewal of their IP address, they’ll still have what the Smart Hub gave them, so by rebooting them now, they should get new 192.168.10.* addresses.

If you want your devices to retain a certain IP, which is why you might be using statically assigned IPs, there is a much easier way of configuring the setup so you can have both.

Set all your devices to “Obtain an IP address automatically”, and then, for the devices you want to retain the same IP address every time, once they have established an IP from the Vigor’s DHCP service, you can “Bind IP to Mac” in the LAN>>Bind IP to MAC configuration section of the Vigor.
If you want specific IPs assigned to specific devices, you can do that too by choosing the device in question from the ‘ARP Table’ list presented to you in the Bind config section and once you have selected that device from the list, click ‘Add’ it will then be added to the ‘IP Bind List’ below, now find that same device in the ‘IP Bind List’ and select it, it will then be loaded into the fields on the right of the ‘ARP Table’ list, you can then change the IP address to whatever you like - relevant to the subnet the device is operating in, and click ‘Update’; you can also add a comment(name) for that device at this stage too.
That IP Bind is now stored and the Vigor’s DHCP service will reserve that IP for that device indefinitely until you choose to update it or remove it.

The only caveat to this is Apple iPhones, as Apple has implemented a “non-tracking” feature into their iOS which randomises the phone’s MAC address each time it obtains a renewal of its IP address, so avoid Binding iPhones - if you can help it, or, experiment and see how annoying it can get.
It’s a great feature for a device user who is wanting to avoid being tracked but, a pain for an IT administrator wanting to control devices on their network.

(Oh and remember to force your device to renew its IP address after setting up the bind, a restart of the device should do it.)

• cosmarchy
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2023 14:20 #12 by cosmarchy
Hi HodgesanDY,

Yes, thee devices are configured with static IP addresses. In the grand scheme of things I've got no issue with assigning dynamic IP addresses and then binding the IP to MAC to maintain except that there is one device which will only accept a static address!! In this day and age, I actually have a device which only accepts a static IP address :o .

It's not the end of the world, just a minor annoyance.

If I Bind IP to MAC, I assume I'd have to choose an IP address in the 192.168.10.x range as this is what LAN 1 is configured to???

Thankfully none of the devices are Apple... :D

Moderators: Sami