DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Slow lan to lan

More
07 Aug 2020 14:19 #7 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Slow lan to lan

Morethan wrote:
i can send screenshots, can't seem to paste them on this forum .

No, unfortunately you can't - you have to host them elsewhere (postimage.org or ibb.co ?)

Uk has 20mbps up (tested at 18.9) and Spain has 30mbps up (tested at 28.57). It seems odd that I can get 17mbps down as a dial in user but only 64kbs as a lan to lan vpn

17Mbps sounds pretty good - given that 18.9 UK uplink. It is odd that the lan-to-lan is so much slower.

I presume you've not got any Bandwidth Management set up on either router - either on purpose, or accidentally? (Q.O.S. wouldn't do it, unless the Router was already busy)

Have you tried more than one Speed Checker? ... how about https://fast.com (Netflix's).

Otherwise, all I can think of, is to try a more modern VPN protocol - L2TP/IPsec, being my choice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2020 12:55 #8 by gm268
Replied by gm268 on topic Re: Slow lan to lan
I have a very similar setup and would love to know why my Lan2LAN has slowed to a crawl recently also. It used to work fine but in the past couple of weeks has been unusable. Any ideas gratefully received.

More
25 Aug 2020 15:08 #9 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Slow lan to lan

gm268 wrote:
I have a very similar setup...

Similar, as in PPTP ?

FWIW, I just tried a quick speedtest via https://Fast.com , with the "Change default route to this VPN tunnel" option set for a Lan to LAN entry. The VPN is L2TP/IPSec.

The result was 8.9Mbps - which I consider reasonable, given that the Upload of the far-end of the VPN is approx. 10Mbps. (It's a Zen "38Mbps" connection.)

(Drayteks are a 2860n and a 2830n)

More
25 Aug 2020 23:31 #10 by gm268
Replied by gm268 on topic Re: Slow lan to lan
I re-setup my LT2P/IPSec LAN2LAN from scratch and thankfully it seems to be behaving better now. Download measured by fast.com at c.9MBps - the connection at the other end has a 20MBps upload. Still not perfect though - when connected my own upload according to speedtest.net is zero(!) so maybe I have something set incorrectly..?

OT but as an aside I am experimenting with ExpressVPN as a possible alternative link back to the UK (I'm in Germany at the moment)... If anyone knows how to make that work on a 2860 at any reasonable speed I'd be grateful for tips as I've almost given up. Their own L2TP/IPsec instructions don't work for me at all; I can get a connection if I choose PPTP, but it's painfully slow and drops out too often.

Moderators: Sami