DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Client vpn from domain joined windows computer

• frolix8
  • Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2020 11:32 #1 by frolix8
Hi Everyone. I would like to ask for help?
We are experiencing a strange issue when trying to connect to using Smart VPN from a windows 10 computer. If we set up the L2TP with IPsec and pre-shared key connection before joining the computer to our domain it works both before and after joining. But if we join our windows domain before configuring the L2TP with IPsec it connects but we have no connectivity to resources. All firewall ports are open.
No policy's are set to prevent connection. Any ideas on what to check?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2020 21:27 #2 by hornbyp
I don't think this is a Draytek issue...(even if the target VPN Server is a Draytek Router - you didn't actually say :wink: )

IIRC - For L2TP/IPSec connections, SmartVPN just creates a Dial-up networking connection called "To Vigor" and then feeds in the Username / Password and possibly some other options. In other words, it just configures the built-in Windows VPN client. (You can access the connection directly using RASPHONE and RASDIAL).

I think your problem lies somewhere in the local Windows 10 firewall - there being separate profiles for "Domain Networks", "Private Networks" and "Public Networks", I'm betting that either something's not allowed in the profile in use (*or* the network connection is being 'mis-classified' and is not using the expected profile).
The ports that need to be open, are for whatever is being used to provide "Connectivity to resources" (as opposed to access to Smartvpn.exe). You may need to enable Firewall logging and /or check the Event Viewer.

(If it's file & printer sharing, then the NBTSTAT command is a good diagnostic tool - in concert with 'Net View'/'net use').

• frolix8
  • Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2020 15:31 #3 by frolix8
Thanks for your reply. I have disabled any firewall and issue still remains. I connecting to a Draytek 2860 Router. Builds with the same settings but not added to the domain have no issues in connecting.

Moderators: Sami