Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2925 VPN Connecting…

• justlost
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2021 06:29 #1 by justlost
Vigor 2925 VPN Connecting… was created by justlost
Hello,

I’m trying to get VPN to work on my Vigor 2925. When I try to connect (using the builtin windows 10 VPN client) I get the normal “Verifying your sign in info” followed by Connecting ….
If I change the user data, it fails. So I know it’s reachable and the correct user details.

I’ve enabled logging, but that doesn’t show anything. Firewall is disabled & there are no restrictions on connecting Ips.

Is there a trouble shooting guide I can follow to try and workout why it’s stuck on ‘connecting’?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2021 16:23 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2925 VPN Connecting…

justLost wrote:
I’ve enabled logging, but that doesn’t show anything. Firewall is disabled & there are no restrictions on connecting Ips.

The "VPN" and "Connection" tabs of Draytek's SYSlogRd program should show something ...
(The Firewall is irrelevant, as it's downstream of the VPN server.)

What sort of VPN is this? (On the off-chance it's L2TP/IPsec and that you're trying to do some kind of 'loop' test from your own LAN - then it won't work (Use a mobile phone hotspot as a test connection))

You can also try setting the connection up using Draytek's SmartVPN. (For L2TP/IPsec, it just configures the underlying 'dialup networking' and creates a phonebook entry called "To Vigor" (that you can inspect, assuming it works))

• justlost
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2021 07:29 #3 by justlost
Replied by justlost on topic Re: Vigor 2925 VPN Connecting…
Thanks for your answer.
Syslog
When I connect to the routers web interface and view "Diagnostics > Syslog Explorer" It shows nothing new after I attempt a VPN connection.

I've also installed the SyslogRd Utility as I thought that may show more info. Following this: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5746

Unfortunately the area to select a router is empty. (step 2 Select the router's LAN IP address - in the image marked 'a.')
But when I check the Misc. area the 'Network information' tab shows the 2925 under the correct IP address in the 'On Line Routers' area.

The firmware has been updated. And I'm connecting via my phones hotspot to simulate an external user.

Will try the SmartVPN next.

• justlost
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2021 09:19 #4 by justlost
Replied by justlost on topic Re: Vigor 2925 VPN Connecting…
I tried the smartclient, but didn't help.
Then I forgot I was connected to the network using the current VPN, and then tried to connect with the new VPN and it worked...
Disconnected both and tried with just the new one and it failed.

But it is now telling me the username / password is incorrect. Which is odd because it works when I'm connected via the old VPN.

But I tried copy and pasting it into/from notepad to be sure there isn't something I've mistyped but same error.

More
09 Mar 2021 01:12 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2925 VPN Connecting…

justLost wrote:
Unfortunately the area to select a router is empty. (step 2 Select the router's LAN IP address - in the image marked 'a.')

Draytek wrote: Troubleshoot: If you didn't get any log on the software, please check the firewall policy on both the router and the Syslog server (the computer) to see if there is a rule blocking UDP port 514.

SyslogRd normally raises a dialogue on Windows, asking you to add it to the inbound Firewall rules. The 'box' starts to populate, when it hears traffic from a Syslog client.

He also wrote:
Then I forgot I was connected to the network using the current VPN, and then tried to connect with the new VPN and it worked...
Disconnected both and tried with just the new one and it failed.

This talk of "current" vpn and "new" vpn is all very confusing...
Do you mean connecting "with" (i.e. outbound) or "to" (i.e. inbound)?

A bit more detail of this configuration is required...

Moderators: Sami