Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SSL VPN Capabilities on 2860?

• neilmobile
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2021 17:08 #1 by neilmobile
SSL VPN Capabilities on 2860? was created by neilmobile
Hello to all.

I have set up a SSL VPN remote worker dialin from a IOS phone using Smart VPN to my 2860. After connecting to the VPN browsing on the phone works correctly i.e. web page requests on the phone go via the VPN then back out via the 2860 . I can also ping the 2860 from the phone over the VPN.

I wanted to be able to see my DNLA server on my network via the phone but it doesn't see it (a ping to the DNLA server from the phone fails)

I see I can setup a few SSL apps on the 2860 (RDC, SMB shares and VNC) but I can't see how to allow remote VPN access to the DNLA server on my network.

The one of the reasons I setup the VPN was to avoid needing to open up any home server ports to the Internet side.

Have I missed something?

Regards

InterAl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• neilmobile
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2021 17:14 #2 by neilmobile
Replied by neilmobile on topic Re: SSL VPN Capabilities on 2860?
Further to the last

I wrote DNLA server but that should have been ' DLNA Server ' !

Apologies!

InterA

More
09 Mar 2021 01:28 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: SSL VPN Capabilities on 2860?

neilmobile wrote:

I have set up a SSL VPN remote worker dial-in from a IOS phone using Smart VPN to my 2860. After connecting to the VPN browsing on the phone works correctly i.e. web page requests on the phone go via the VPN then back out via the 2860 . I can also ping the 2860 from the phone over the VPN.

I wanted to be able to see my DNLA server on my network via the phone but it doesn't see it (a ping to the DNLA server from the phone fails)

This is a scenario I've played with quite a bit over the last five years, but never had working successfully.

I don't believe SSL (on Draytek at any rate) is fast enough for Video - though it should manage audio and images.
(Accessing the "ITV HUB" over a VPN from Florida, required L2TP/IPsec adding to the mix (Verandah, Rockin' Chair, Jack Daniels, L2TP/IPSec -> Vigor -> ITV Hub :lol: )

The fact that you can't ping the DLNA server indicates a Routing or Firewalling issue somewhere. That bit is normally relatively easy to get working...

The problem with DLNA, is that it uses SSDP to announce itself, and for some reason, these Multicast messages don't travel over the VPN (despite ticking the "[ ]Pass" box, next to "Multicast via VPN" in the Remote Dial-in User setting).

(I can't get them working over LAN-to-LAN either, despite messing with every option I can see in the Vigor, that might be vaguely related to this issue (enabling IGMP, enabling GRE etc etc). It's either missing functionality, or quite possibly, I don't know what I'm doing :lol: )

If you get it working, let me know :wink:

• neilmobile
  • Topic Author
More
15 Mar 2021 17:45 #4 by neilmobile
Replied by neilmobile on topic Re: SSL VPN Capabilities on 2860?
Thanks for the advice hornbyp.

You were right it was easy to fix the ping problem. I was using the wrong IP address! :o

I haven't be able to test the video speed as yet but will try setting up L2TP/IPsec if it doesn't work.

Cheers

neilmobile

Moderators: Sami