Weird single thread wifi performance

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Dec 2017 09:50 #1 by mbames
Weird single thread wifi performance was created by mbames
This is a tad strange. I've got 2 x AP910c and they are managed by a 2925. Inbetween them is a Netgear GS728TPP Smart PoE switch.

The switch is running with a basic configuration (pretty much reset, and given a management IP, latest firmware). The 2925 and 910c are all on the latest firmware too.

If I run a thinkbroadband speed test from my wired desktop PC (via the same switch), I see great single thread performance, but when on wifi, on 3 devices when connected to either AP the single thread performance is shocking (~x10 slower than it should be), but the multithread is fine. Given the desktop is fine, that proves the internet connectivity is fine, and it must be the APs, but I'm not sure where or how?!
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1513719916790046455

wifi enabled device
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1513708297491127555

* I know the test examples aren't done at the same time, but I've just checked and results are the same - I simply wasn't logged into the desktop for the initial tests.

I don't have any traffic shaping enabled. The only thing I did try and do was enable a guest wifi using LAN3 and vlan2 / tag 10 yesterday, but that didn't work - wifi guest clients couldn't then connect, so I rolled back those changes, and they were only for the guest wifi, not my main wifi. Oh, and I did turn off wifi on the 2925, as the AP910c provide full coverage around the house.

Any ideas? I've got guests for Christmas and I can image they might be mad if they can't stream stuff to numerous mobile devices, etc....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Dec 2017 10:10 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Weird single thread wifi performance
I've since removed the guest profiles from the APs (although they existed before), and removed the LAN3 /vlan2 stuff. Enabled guest as the only ssid on the 2925 as part of the main LAN and wifi performance was back to normal.

Re-enabled LAN3/ vlan2 and wifi performance went back to being rubbish for single thread. In the short term I'll leave it alone, but wondered if anyone else had experience of this?

Happy to post up screen shorts of config/etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.