DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860n wifi keeps turning itself off

• jann
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2022 14:55 #1 by jann
Hi - got a 2860n updated to latest firmware.
Last couple of months or so I've noticed that the Wifi keeps turning off i.e. you go to the UI and it is no longer checked.
Nobody else has access to the router or to the dashboard so this is definitely 'self-inflicted'.
Any ideas? I could understand maybe the wifi signal dropping but not the actual UI 'turning off' the function.

Hunted around the net and there are some reports of this but not many - for 2762 and 2862s also.
e.g.: "We have a number of clients with Draytek 2862n's. We have had this issue a number of times at different clients sites. Randomly, the wifi will just disable itself on the router. It's a simple solution - we just have to login to the router and re-enable it. Some routers do it more often than others. Firmware upgrades haven't solved the issue."

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2022 08:58 #2 by admin3
You could try turning off the wireless button to see if that helps:
> wl btnctl 1
Enable wireless botton control
Current wireless botton control is on
>
Later models like the 2865 put that under the [System Maintenance] > [Panel Control] menu. If the wireless button gets pushed for ~1 second, it'll toggle the wireless on 2.4ghz 11n wireless models - on the dual-band models that'll toggle the 2.4ghz & 5ghz on/off separately so those models take a few presses to fully turn off wifi.

Forum Administrator

• jann
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2022 09:31 #3 by jann
Thanks I'll try that today.

• jann
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2022 11:05 #4 by jann

admin3 wrote:
You could try turning off the wireless button to see if that helps:

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick - no more wifi turning off since.
Trying to think through why this might be - we don't have kids or rodents or pets so nothing animal like will be turning the button off.
So am wondering if either it is an iffy connection on the inside (maybe solder connection deteriorating after a few years?) or maybe some insect wandering in and out of the unit?

More
24 May 2022 14:47 #5 by admin3
If the switch is physically damaged then maybe it could, but the way the clicker in there works it's unlikely to just occur through the connection deteriorating. But maybe if there's flux residue, then that's a slight possibility.

You could spray some contact cleaner in the switch while it's off, and click it a couple of times. Clean the contacts on the underside if they have any flux residue, brush that off with some kitchen towel. Then leave it to dry, that might help potentially. In my opinion, the software fix is easier though :)

Forum Administrator

• jann
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2022 15:38 #6 by jann
I'll definitely second that opinion - whenever I take things apart things don't always go according to plan...
Thanks again.

Moderators: Sami