• playerone
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
21 Jan 2024 12:01 #1 by playerone
ap802 combined capabilities was created by playerone
Hi,

For quite a lot of years now I've had a 2862ac working well and an ap802 sat in a drawer. The 802 has never worked for me as I cannot use it the way I want to. Numerous firmware versions have come & gone without ever allowing me to do all of these:

• Mesh node

• Wired backhaul

• 2 SSIDs on separate VLANs

• Separate management VLAN (accessible on the backhaul link only)

Eventually the mesh compatability matrix was published showing that the 2862ac only works as a root node with 903 APs. At least at that point I could stop beating my head against a wall each time new firmware came out for either.
Move on a year or two and I've just ordered a 2866ax to replace the 2862ac. That according to the compatibility matrix can be the root node for an 802. But will I still be frustrated? Individually the 802 can do all the above things but I'm not convinced it can do them all together. A 906 will (I think) but I like the form factor of the 802, very convenient to sprinkle around wherever needed particularly when used with an IEEE 1901 powerline to provide the backhaul connection. (Hint for DrayTek if they are listening: Put 1901 in your next gen 80x device, they'll sell like hot cakes.)

So my questions are:
  1. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that the 802 cannot do all of the above at the same time?

2. Can anyone confirm that the 906 will?

Thanks
P1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.