DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Firmware Fail

More
27 Sep 2013 18:18 #1 by iekos
2820 Firmware Fail was created by iekos
Hi guys I'm slightly panicking.

I'm at a clients and the draytek needed a firmware upgrade. I've just upgraded the firmware and the router claimed to have completed and wanted restart. After the restart all the lights are permanently on and nothing happens. I've just unplug the router and plugged it back in but still all the LED's are still on.

what the hell do I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
27 Sep 2013 18:41 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820 Firmware Fail
you need to reflash it

Get the Firmware Upgrade V.3.6.5 (Windows) tool from UK support (down of their page, guessing you have windows) ... unzip it

Latest firmware is 3.3.7.4 & use 232201 modem code, which is fine for most lines
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/v3.3.7.4/Annex%20A/
Note you need to use the *rst* file and Not the *all*

follow this order to avoid time outs (have the upgrade tool ready and stand by first)

-Disable temporary firewall at pc
-use ethernet cable & not via wifi

-open the utility upgrade tool 3.6.5
- type at IP address 192.168.1.1
-load 3.3.7.4 the rst file(is reccomented for your case)
-password leave it blank & if timeout or other message try admin
- leave there the upgrade tool open & stand by ...

While the 2820 is off ... press and hold gently the small reset hall button ... turn on the modem while the reset button is still under gently press ... and while the leds starts flashing ... let go the small reset button ... and press the send button at the upgrade tool before the leds at modem stops flashing fast

If any problem come back before gets permanent damage

More
27 Sep 2013 19:09 #3 by iekos
Replied by iekos on topic Re: 2820 Firmware Fail
Thankyou. Doing it now. PS. Am I going to loose all the setting eg adsl etc?

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
27 Sep 2013 19:31 #4 by babis3g

iekos wrote: Thankyou. Doing it now. PS. Am I going to loose all the setting eg adsl etc?

yes ... but if the firmware was interrupted ... this is the most safest way with rst file for working in future with good order
EDIT
Perhaps during the last interrupted upgrade attempt ... the settings was interrupted together with the firmware ...
If you have a back up use it after reflashing ... if not keep one for next problem if ever any

• oldnutty
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2014 16:07 #5 by oldnutty
Replied by oldnutty on topic Re: 2820 Firmware Fail
Hello, this is my 1st time, as my 2820 has been perfect for 4 years.
Failed to reflash & now following your instructions above, I think router damaged.
I used upgrade tool 3.6.5 & firmware 3.5.9 & I think router stayed in TFTP (3 rapid flashing LEDs) while sending.
LAN LED showed data sending, then during detecting router activity, 3 LEDs went to uneven flashing then steady ON...& stayed that way.
I used no password, admin & my previous password with no difference. The only thing I did not understand was
what modem code 232201 means & where to enter it.
Is this the end?

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2014 17:51 #6 by babis3g

oldnutty wrote: Hello, this is my 1st time, as my 2820 has been perfect for 4 years.
Failed to reflash & now following your instructions above, I think router damaged.
I used upgrade tool 3.6.5 & firmware 3.5.9 & I think router stayed in TFTP (3 rapid flashing LEDs) while sending.
LAN LED showed data sending, then during detecting router activity, 3 LEDs went to uneven flashing then steady ON...& stayed that way.
I used no password, admin & my previous password with no difference. The only thing I did not understand was
what modem code 232201 means & where to enter it.
Is this the end?

you need to press the send button on the firmware utility tool before leds they stay solid steady again (once you set first everything ready in the tool) ... so repeat the all the process again from the begin
the modem code 232201 is coming together with the firmware which you need to place it at the firmware file of the firmware utility tool but you need to use the *rst* file
firmware 3.5.9 get from here (note this is for the IPPBX model and not for the normal 2820 which different firmware apply)
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/VigorIPPBX%202820/Firmware/v3.5.9/VigorIPPBX2820_v3.5.9_Annex_A/

also note

If upgrading from 3.5.6 or earlier do not upgrade using the Web UI. Upgrade must be done using the router tools firmware upgrade utility.

&

if you using the IPPBX model PLEASE TRY TO FIND THE IPPBX router via the SEARCH button(Router IP button of the utility tool)