Broken forum.

• adrianh54
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Oct 2020 09:52 #1 by adrianh54
Broken forum. was created by adrianh54
It's about time someone recoded this forum. For a few months now, as noted by other members, the forum decides you need to log in whilst trying to post/reply/answer posts.

This morning this happened 4 times while trying to type a reply within the posting pane , and just now I logged in, tried to open a forum section and again I am presented with a login in field.

I've even had this when having typed a sentence and trying to add a "smiley" I am no longer logged in and the same stupid cycle starts again.

Different browsers, different devices the result is the same.

phpBB is a useless unreliable forum software, please choose something more competent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2020 13:38 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Broken forum.
I've not had this problem :?:

• adrianh54
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Oct 2020 14:30 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Broken forum.

Piste Basher wrote:
I've not had this problem :?:

hornbyp wrote:
I typed this reply in about 5 times now, and the flamin' forum software keeps inviting me to login, every time I hit "Preview" and then loses all the text ... it's ended up rather terse :(

More
18 Oct 2020 16:52 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Broken forum.
I'll try hitting "preview" now...

no problem with that...

• adrianh54
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Oct 2020 17:14 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Broken forum.
Don't tempt fate, it's been going on for @ 3 months now and this is the 3rd attempt at posting this reply.

Type the message, try to preview and the message is gone. Frequently it's log in > read a new post , try to reply and get presented with the login field.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
19 Oct 2020 03:20 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Broken forum.

AdrianH54 wrote:
Don't tempt fate, it's been going on for @ 3 months now and this is the 3rd attempt at posting this reply.

I find it only occurs sporadically - but with annoying frequency during these periods (if you see what I mean :) )

I've got into the habit of typing Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C before I hit "Preview", so that I don't lose every thing.

Given that no-one else seems to be having problem, maybe it's something in our particular environments.

I'm using the new Chromium-based Edge, with a 'Chrome' extension called Ghostery (it's a pop-up, tracking-cookie, ad-blocker thing). It sometimes causes issues with other sites, but when it does, they're repeatable.

I also use Steven Black's curated 'HOSTS' file collection and have a firewall rule that blocks outbound access to all the countries that I think I have no requirement to access. Both of these cause unexpected issues on occasion - but always repeatably, so I don't think they're implicated.

Sod's Law says it's behaved absolutely perfectly, during the typing of this reply :roll: