Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166

• kev2021
  • Topic Author
More
06 Apr 2021 20:35 #1 by kev2021
Vigor 166 was created by kev2021
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a new router and going for a separate modem to replace my BT Smart hub. I understand that when using a ASUS RT-AX 82/86U, you cannot view the modem line stats from the router web page and need to manually connect directly to the modem.

I was thinking of connecting port 1 of the modem to a ASUS router, to get internet access. Then, could I change the IP address of port 2 on the modem to be the within the same IP range as the rest of my network, then connect it to my network switch, in turn allow me to access the modem web page with line stats from my PC on my normal network? Port 1 on the modem would remain in default IP range.

Thanks

Kev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Apr 2021 00:29 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 166
Have a read through this thread (it is about the Vigor130, but may apply to 166)

https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23986

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
07 Apr 2021 05:39 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166
If you have , or are in a GFast area the Vigor 166 makes sense. If you only have VDSL2 FTTC a Vigor 130 will do all you need.

I would think about the fact that FTTH/P is supposedly coming to everyone in the next few years, that will make modems redundant.

With an ASUS router and a Vigor 130 you can access line stas by simply calling the modem on 192.168.2.1 which is what I have done for several years. Iv'e even found a way to do the same by creating an "etho2" interface on the Turris Omnia I now run.

• kev2021
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2021 19:18 #4 by kev2021
Replied by kev2021 on topic Re: Vigor 166
Hi,

Thanks, Yes i thought about that but I wanted to be able to access the modem stats and the 166 had 2 ports as i read elsewhere that you had to unplug the network cable and plug a laptop in direct to the modem to see the modem stats.

Out of interest, how did you manage to see the modem stats using ASUS router with vigor 130. If it is possible and easy to do then I'll go for the 130 as I'm on VDSL and don't have FTTP at present but hopefully will get it in a few years when prices drop etc as can't justify the cost of it at the moment.

Thanks

Kev

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
08 Apr 2021 05:27 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166

Out of interest, how did you manage to see the modem stats using ASUS router with vigor 130. If it is possible and easy to do then I'll go for the 130 as I'm on VDSL and don't have FTTP at present but hopefully will get it in a few years when prices drop etc as can't justify the cost of it at the moment.

I use the Vigor130 as is, straight out of the box, that is "pass through mode" , on the ASUS there is a default setting on the WAN page, "Special requirements for ISP " , make sure that is set to "ON" and then simply call the modem in a browser using the default IP address 192.168.2.1.

• kev2021
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2021 20:33 #6 by kev2021
Replied by kev2021 on topic Re: Vigor 166
Thanks, I'll have to see if that option exists on the RT-AX86U router.

Kev