Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2866ax 4.4.1_BT ADSL Issues

• mn4292
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2022 08:33 #1 by mn4292
2866ax 4.4.1_BT ADSL Issues was created by mn4292
Morning,

I have logged a support ticket with Draytek. I hear it may take some time for them to get back to me, so here I am.

I recently upgraded to a Draytek 2866ax. I'm experiencing all sorts of issues with the VDSL connection including it only achieves 54/10Mbps connection speed, however, if I plug in any other router (5 different makes/models) including the cheapest on the market, I get the maximum 64/11Mbps which my line is capable of.

Aside from the bandwidth issues, my connection speed will slowly decrease over a period of 2 weeks, finally going down to 32/1Mbps. Openreach have tested this line which it fails when the Draytek is plugged in. With other routers plugged in, the line reports no issues.

I also experience packet loss and latency issues with the VDSL connection. It is though the ADSL/VDSL modem within this router, does not understand my line.

I need to see if there is an easy solution to this problem before I get rid of it, which I ideally do not want to do.

Kind regards,

Mikey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2022 09:06 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2866ax 4.4.1_BT ADSL Issues
I'm afraid that I do not have any words of comfort for you. I gave up using Draytek routers with built-in modems several years ago after experiencing similar problems to you - loss of speed over a period of time was my main concern.

My solution was to change to a 292x (starting with a 2925, now on a 2927ax) with a separate 130 modem. The 130 has been rock-solid for several years now. (The ax has its own problems, the long-promised mesh capability has still not arrived, but I can live with that for now. Also, reading here, would seem that many Draytek routers re-boot themselves for no apparent reason now and again. Again, not so much of a problem now that I have a separate modem, which doesn't display that behaviour)

It's almost as though the modem Draytek put in their routers is not the same as the modem they put in their modem..... :roll:

• mn4292
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2022 09:32 #3 by mn4292
Replied by mn4292 on topic Re: 2866ax 4.4.1_BT ADSL Issues
Thank you for the reply. Even if it was terrible news :)

I have a £20 Technicolor router which works an absolute treat in comparison to this £350 2866ax, shame it has no VLAN support. Wish I'd saved my money.

I might look at a 130. It is just a shame I have to spend more money.

More
17 Aug 2022 11:29 #4 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: 2866ax 4.4.1_BT ADSL Issues
if you are not using WAN2 then put one of the other routers in modem mode and use wan2 as your connection. There may be some connection between drayteks and the devices in the exchange. I have seen Broadcom's mentioned. I have not seen the issues you have experienced and have a few 28xxs out there.

Des Quinn

• mn4292
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2022 11:35 #5 by mn4292
Replied by mn4292 on topic Re: 2866ax 4.4.1_BT ADSL Issues
Thank you for the reply.

In the past few minutes, I've put my Technicolor in Bridge Mode and hopefully have a stable VDSL connection for now.

It would be great to get to the bottom of this issue. Ideally, this is not the setup I was after :)

More
17 Aug 2022 11:46 #6 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: 2866ax 4.4.1_BT ADSL Issues
you may want to check this post - https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=101584&hilit=broadcom#p101584

there are also other modem codes you can use and maybe they would be better.

Des Quinn