DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Caller ID, 999, DialPlan PSTN

More
26 Dec 2009 12:58 #1 by vxr36
Caller ID, 999, DialPlan PSTN was created by vxr36
I am not sure I have purchaed the correct router for my requirements.
I have a V2820Vn with Current Firmware Version: 3.3.3_232201.

I am using a DECT phone in Phone socket 1. I have not set up any SIP accounts.

Priamarily I need to get the phone working as before prior to adding SIP capablility.

So far, after reading lots of posts and instruction manuals I can make PSTN calls using #0 but that is about it. Here are my current issues:-

I do not have caller id anymore, it just says --Call--

Even after putting 999, 123, and 1571 in the PSTN section I can not get them to work. I have 2 young children who understand about 999 emergencies but I don't want to have to confuse them with placing #0 and then dialing. If I dial 123 I here it dial then I get the 2 bleeps then the unit switches to PSTN. If I then dial 123 again, it connects. Yes I have tried increasing the mic gain.

I have tried vaious Dial plans to force the router to use PSTN. eg anything starting with a 0. This dose not seem to work either.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but this can't be the best on offer, is it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2009 17:50 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Caller ID, 999, DialPlan PSTN
The digit map facility should let you put in rules to put 999 etc. via PSTN and there's another menu that does the same thing...sorry, not with a router right now, but it SHOULD do what you want.

Forum Administrator

More
31 Dec 2009 08:22 #3 by vxr36
Replied by vxr36 on topic Caller ID, 999, DialPlan PSTN
Thanks for your feedback.

I have some additional information from Draytek.

Caller ID will not work until future firmware releases.
They suggested that I turn mic gain to 10 and try. I have done this before without success. However, I persevered through a number of attempts and got a 10% success rate. It was 0% at mic gain=5.

I have had to abandon the Voice side of the modem for now until a sturdy fix is in place. My family won't put up with anything less than 100% call routing success.

What a complete waste of money! This product is not fit for purpose in its current state.

More
01 Jan 2010 14:47 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Caller ID, 999, DialPlan PSTN
Your conclusion is incorrect; the 999 automatic routing works just fine. I've set it up myself and it works fine so it's worth persevering with.

Forum Administrator

More
02 Jan 2010 07:56 #5 by vxr36
The problem is that it is not working here with my existing phones. Maybe I have to replace them too but I'm not willing to spend even more money at this stage on something that may or may not work. I am persevering with Draytek but after following the instructions it does not work 100% of the time. That means I can not afford to use it and that means it is a waste of money - at least for the time being, particularly as I have a perfectly good 2800 (without VOIP) that the 2820 replaced.

I'm very pleased that it works with your phone/router setup. That gives me some hope. Maybe it is the line quality, maybe it is the mic gain, maybe it is my phone. The point is that I can make PSTN calls by bypassing the router and only 10% of calls when going through it(with a mic gain of 10).

More
02 Jan 2010 14:03 #6 by vxr36
So far I have tried a few phones. A DECT system and a bog standard normal tone dial analogue. Both behave in exactly that same way.

There are no PSTN routed calls at Mic gain 5. There is a small success rate with mic gain of 10. The most common outcome is that I get the double bleeps then a period of quiet and then the BT girl telling me my number was not dial correctly and I should replace the hanset and try again. This is exactly the same outcome when I use either dial plan or PSTN setup and doesn't seem to matter what speed I type in the numbers.

As I said before: Either my brand new router is faulty or it is a very poor product to be so hit and miss with standard telephone equipment, not to mention very dangerous in that emergency numbers can not be dialed with any certainty.

Going back to bypassing the router and waiting for Draytek to suggest an alternative course of action. I do have an open support case with them.