DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Voip trunk between 2 ippbx systems

• cam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2011 09:22 #1 by cam
Hi, this may sound like a daft question, my brains far too tired to think straight this morning!!
I have 2 IPPBX systems (2820) at different companies is it possible to trunk them together so that if I set up a digit map to strip 2 when i dial 21007 it will be sent over the trunk and then dial the extension on the other ippbx?

I can set trunks to terminate to extensions on the other ippbx but then you can only set it to autoattendant, dial extension or voicemail.

Im probably missing something obvious but would appreciate any assitance any one can give on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
21 Jan 2011 19:44 #2 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic Voip trunk between 2 ippbx systems
hi cam,

you can make a sip call directly to any ippbx by dialing using extention@ipaddress format i.e 1007@81.82.83.84 (public ip or domain)

You just need to make sure that you have configured the ippbx to accept incoming calls and if using the fully qualified domain name that you have fully configured the dns settings to accomodate SIP.

You could then program an address book entry rather than using Digit Map.

Hope this helps!

• boardsurfer-1
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
02 Feb 2011 19:08 #3 by boardsurfer-1
Replied by boardsurfer-1 on topic Voip trunk between 2 ippbx systems
Hi I too am keen to look into this. I have tried the dialing method using the extension@ip address however this seems to fail.

Could you supply a quick how to in case ive missed anything.

I can make and recieve calls over my sip provider (draytel) however I cannot make calls direct and I cant see what im missing. Im on the latest ippbx firmware.

Thanks

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2011 19:58 #4 by asimm.it
hi boardsurfer,

to dial by ip address use * as the . and end the ip address with a #

to dial an extention directly you need to program that in a dial plan/phone book entry, sorry if i was not clearer with that earlier.

if using a domain instead of an ip address you will need to ensure that you have set up srv records for SIP with your domains DNS provider.

• boardsurfer-1
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
02 Feb 2011 20:48 #5 by boardsurfer-1
Replied by boardsurfer-1 on topic Voip trunk between 2 ippbx systems
Thanks thats what I thought and I used the info from the pdf user document to try and do this. However no matter what I set up I either get a not available tone which then hangs up or the call says connected on the phone but nothing happens?

In the pbx phone book you only have a choice of voip provider to send the call by so im choosing my voip provider (draytel) I can see in the call log the call is being made but nothing.

If I attempt to call the pbxs directly using the ip with the # and * accordingly again I get a busy tone and it hangs up.

I can make calls fine to registered handsets over wan, vpn and lan but not pbx to pbx. Im probably missing something very obvious but cant see what.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2011 21:07 #6 by asimm.it
No your right, there clearly is no option to route a pure IP call over WAN1/WAN2/WAN3 therefore physically impossible at present to call IP to IP other than through a SIP registrar and the diagrams of the IPPBX2820 do not show any head/branch office direct connections.

It must be possible to do though as the IPPBX3510 & Vigor3300V/V+ clearly show these head/branch office direct connections.

I am therefore guessing that the only real solution to try would be to link the 2 ippbx devices with a VPN tunnel, then try and place an ip call directly to the lan ip address of the ip phone at the other end of the tunnel.

Hope that helps!