Draytek 2820 IPPBX - Echo, CLID & Transfers

• mabparkes
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Mar 2011 16:25 #1 by mabparkes
I have installed a Draytek 2820 IPPBX and have the following problems:

1. All calls via the PSTN line have a terrible echo, echo, echo ...
2. All calls via the PSTN have no caller ID information.
3. All incomming calls from the PSTN can not be transfered to another extension (it does not connect correctly to the other extension after you have connected when you hang up).

It looks to me based on what I have read that the above are just BUGS, BUGS, BUGS or is there anybody out there who does NOT have any of these problems???

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
22 Mar 2011 00:30 #2 by macavity
1. Use the shielded Ethernet cable that came with the unit. That removed the echo and a background hum for me. If that doesn't fix it then there are some telnet commands to adjust the echo cancellation method. I think that 'voip dsp ?' should list the subcommand.

2. Not supported but Draytek have said that they're looking at it

3. Seems strange. Tried with the draytek softphone and the analogue extension to rule out the IP phones?

More
05 Apr 2011 16:48 #3 by ukengb
Are these still problems?

Is echo a problem on PSTN calls (I assume that means via the FXO port?) I want to get away from a Linksys SPA3102 mainly for this reason.

And is there still no CLID on these calls? I guess as long as Draytek DO intend to incorporate this it's OK, but I'd hate to think was forgotten. It's one of the fundamentals of modern telephony.

Is the latest firmware any better?

More
05 Apr 2011 22:33 #4 by mjh
I haven't been able to resolve the echo problem on the FXO port on our 2820 IPPBX.

After many, many calls to support at the supplier, draytek and cisco (phones), in the end we've resorted to using the Draytel SIP trunk for all calls (both incoming and outgoing) as there is no echo then. We tried the shielded ethernet cable that came with it, adding an earth to that cable and various changes to parameters but unfortunately none of it cured the problem.

We're on 3.5.5 firmware and I'm just debating whether to upgrade to 3.5.5.1 (see this link http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15504 ) and I'll be interested to see if it makes any difference to the echo issue.

More
06 Apr 2011 21:19 #5 by d3matt
I'm just installed our IPPBX2820 and also experienced terrible noise on the FXO port. I then was told about the grounding issue and to use the STP cable. Of course this only works if the switch you're connect to on the other end is a metal cased model with an earth connection in the mains plug. Many smaller switches don't.
So I've chopped the STP cable and wired the shield to the earth pin on a 3-pin mains plug, so the IPPBX is now earthed locally. It did make a difference, but it hasn't cured the problem. The main issue now is that everyone on the other end complains that were're too quiet. I've asked Draytek (SEG) tech support about to turn up the volume on the FXO port, but don't have an answer yet.

The other issue which has surprised me is that CLI doesn't work on the FXO port. This is a major issue and so much so that we've had to put the phones back onto the PSTN line and just using the IPPBX for the SIP trunk for now. Not good. I hope Draytek can issue a firmware fix for this.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
06 Apr 2011 22:26 #6 by macavity
It might be the IP phone rather than the FXO port. An easy quick test would be to use an analogue phone connected to the FXS port to check te echo and noise volume. It could be that the echo cancellation would work better with a louder volume from the IP phone - I guess the test from the analogue phone might help.

Also there is a telnet command to change the echo cancellation method. I can't remember exactly, I think its under the 'dsp' sub menu. 'voip dsp ?'