DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Forcing PCs to use a specific DNS server?

More
30 Dec 2007 21:10 #1 by lesd
Is there some way I can force PCs connected to my V2910 (or any other router) to use the DNS servers manually entered in the router?

I want to force all users to use OpenDNS so that all Internet access is filtered.

I can bind PCs to a specific IP but would like that also to bind them to the DNS servers.

Thanks

Les

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2007 21:43 #2 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Forcing PCs to use a specific DNS server?
Take a look at group policies, assuming they are using windows.

More
30 Dec 2007 21:52 #3 by njh
As a bit of a lateral move, you could set up a filter to block all DNS lookups (UDP destination port 53) unless they go the OpenDNS servers. That way it makes it useless for them to use any other DNS than the ones picked up from the router.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
30 Dec 2007 22:43 #4 by lesd
Lorian's suggestion of Group Policies is unfortunately not possible as the network is just a simple Workgroup.

But the suggestion from NJH of the filter sounds a good idea.

As I have not yet got to grips with the filter/firewall on this router, could you suggest some pointers for actually setting it up?

Thanks.

Les

More
31 Dec 2007 09:37 #5 by louis-m
Replied by louis-m on topic Forcing PCs to use a specific DNS server?
just let the router lease the ip's via its dhcp server. manually put the dns settings into the router and select (force dns settings) which will manually overide the dns settings aquired from your isp and force the dhcp clients to use the dns settings the router has specified.
otherwise, if not using dhcp, set the dns etc on your windoze box. a limited user should not be able to change an network settings on the box.

the setting is under lan>general setup and under the dhcp

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

More
31 Dec 2007 09:59 #6 by njh

LesD wrote: As I have not yet got to grips with the filter/firewall on this router, could you suggest some pointers for actually setting it up?

Sorry, I don't use filters at all. My idea is just a concept which should be pretty easy to implement.

Nick

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Moderators: Sami