DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Time for a new consumer line

• sporei
  • Topic Author
More
25 May 2008 03:59 #1 by sporei
Time for a new consumer line was created by sporei
OK so the 2700/G/VG and 2800/G/VG have been fantastic consumer/SOHO lines for a few years now but the time is right to release a brand new line for this market.

The 2820 series is brilliant gear for SME market and home users that can afford it but the price and design (ports at front) doesn't wash for mainstream home users. Of course dual-WAN is overkill as well.

Here's the wish-list:

A 2700 series router with the following:

- Wireless N support
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports
- USB Print server option
- Firmware upgrade via web/HTTP interface ability
- Complete Web interface workover (the existing one works well but "It's time")
- A very easy to use quickstart wizard with presets for most popular ISPs.
- A new sleek hardware design (in black please)
- Of course options V/VG options as usual, and a non-ADSL line with above features.

To cut costs, obviously take out dual-WAN, 3G support and you can drop the standard warranty to 1 year.

I've been impressed with regular firmware updates addressing issues and adding new features but there's no escaping the fact that we are well over-due for a new line, come on Draytek, bring it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sporei
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jul 2008 07:26 #2 by sporei
Replied by sporei on topic Time for a new consumer line
OK so it seems my wishlist is coming true with the Vigor 2710 on the way! Great stuff Draytek I was beginning to think you were giving this market segment the shaft.

Looks like all my wishes are met however not sure if the gigabit ethernet ports are going to be there (or be an option).

More
04 Apr 2009 12:31 #3 by rhubarb
Replied by rhubarb on topic Time for a new consumer line
Hi

Does anyone have any info on if/when the 2710 series is to be available in the UK? I've currently got a V2700 which is excellent, I wouldn't mind having a router with integrated 'Wireless N'.

Andy

More
08 May 2009 09:17 #4 by coderus
Replied by coderus on topic Time for a new consumer line
I totally agree that the 2820 is an excellent piece of kit (and so impressed in it so far), but I still think having dual WAN is very handy, as I have brought one because I know that I do end up switching between ADSL and cable ISP (due to price & other half's moving house) and so can still use the same router and not have to worry about switching between routers.

Also if you have a look at where the ISP market is going have the dual WAN for a consumer does future proof.

However agree that ports in the back would have been better for consumer product, however appreciate that those wifi aerial's need to go somewhere and I like the router in a horizontal position not like vertically mode (2700's)

Thanks
Mark.

More
12 May 2009 19:32 #5 by larrylloyd
Replied by larrylloyd on topic Just make 'what you've got' work!
I would disagree with keep bringing out new hardware for the sake of it!
I've used Draytek's for years and currently use 9 of them (4 different models).
What would make more sense is to get the current models working 'optimally'.
The 2820 is STILL waiting for a rock steady firmware! :(

More
27 May 2009 09:18 #6 by magelan_2000
Replied by magelan_2000 on topic Time for a new consumer line
I agree with the last post. The firmware for the 2820 seems to have been rushed to the market. Despite lots of fixes I still have to reboot mine about once a week to get the box working again...

Moderators: Sami