DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Sync Speeds 2820n

More
19 May 2009 21:40 #1 by mrtn
Sync Speeds 2820n was created by mrtn
Hi

I purchase the above router yesterday for my home o2 broadband. I can't seem to get the Draytek to sync with anything similar to the Thomson router that I got from o2.

I'm getting approx. 2.5mbit down on Thomson, but only 1.2 mbit down on Draytek! I have tried configuring the router on 3.3.0 firmware as well as 3.3.2 RC1 which I have got currently installed.

The SNR Margin is at 6 which seems to be fine. Once I select the ADSL+ Annex M DSL doesn't want to connect anymore as it's constantly Handshaking/resetting...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
mrtn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2009 07:02 #2 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Sync Speeds 2820n
Sounds like you have a poor line, which means you wont get that any better really. Ive mentioned here many times about the sync of Drayteks, they are always lots worse than the thompsons/netgears etc but what you lose in speed you gain in features.
What you can do is use the thompson to feed the WAN2 of the 2820, not a 1 box solution but it works.

More
20 May 2009 09:19 #3 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Sync Speeds 2820n
On a line that long (or poor - make sure you have checked your internal wiring) there is no point setting it to use Annexe M - You will just lose some download speed and will gain nothing in upload.
Change it to Annexe A and see if that helps.

The other option is to put the Thompson router in Bridge Mode and use that connected to WAN2 of the Draytek.

More
20 May 2009 18:40 #4 by mrtn
Replied by mrtn on topic Sync Speeds 2820n
cheers for prompt responses

from what I can see I am about 3-3,5 km from the exchange and it appears that I have really got a poor line.

Don't think it's an internal wiring issue as I am currently testing it on a main/test socket.

I seem to be getting best sync speeds with G.DMT and can't connect at all with any options having Annex M.

More
20 May 2009 22:34 #5 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Sync Speeds 2820n
Try doing a quiet line test using an analogue phone, and if there is any noise at all report it to BT as a voice fault.
Have you tried it in the Test socket - i.e. the one behind the faceplate?
By doing this it disconnects all internal wiring and rules that out. Just because your router is not plugged into an extension they can still affect the line if they are present.
I would remove the ring wire as well if it is connected.

More
24 May 2009 09:09 #6 by mrtn
Replied by mrtn on topic Sync Speeds 2820n
Thanks for all your help. I have given up and using my o2 wireless box as a bridge with decent sync speeds. Have also removed the ring wire.

Many thanks
mrtn

Moderators: Sami