DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3.3.1.2 DNS bug 2820

• tspeirs
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2009 21:56 #1 by tspeirs
3.3.1.2 DNS bug 2820 was created by tspeirs
Just so people are not pulling there hair out I thought Id post a bug Ive found with the new firmware.

Im running an exchange server, and my ISP is BE. There seems to be a new bug introduced with the DNS Server not resolving MX records via SMTP. (501)

The messages are queuing up with a DNS query failure on my server. Confirmed downgrading to 3.3.0.0 fixed the issue. If you need to use the new firmware like me so VOIP doesnt reboot your router every time you receive a call, you want caller id (!) and your trying to use smtp then yourll need to ditch the dns server on the router and explicitly define your DNS servers on your servers as provided from your ISP. Other DNS usage seems to work fine.

Thats my experience anyway, might not apply to all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2009 09:58 #2 by davidhaycox
Replied by davidhaycox on topic 3.3.1.2 DNS bug 2820
I think there's something in this - I've certainly been seeing some strange DNS behaviour on a 2820n. Need the latest firmware to allow wireless clients to get DHCP addresses (it's a listed bug fix), so can't go back to an older one.

Normally I set the DNS server on the Windows box (in this case SBS2008) to use the router as a DNS forwarder - that way if the ISP's DNS servers change, no action is required as the router automatically updates. But with it set like this, the server was unable to resolve DNS queries quickly, or in some cases at all. Case in point was the ISP's SMTP smart host that all outgoing e-mail is routed through. Fixed it short term by setting the smart host as an IP address, but now by removing the router from the DNS forwarders on the server and manually specifying the ISPs, everything is okay.

More
07 Jul 2009 19:19 #3 by quitch
Replied by quitch on topic 3.3.1.2 DNS bug 2820
Unsure if this is related, but I suspect so. I'm seeing sluggish host resolution via the 2820 on 3.3.1.2, doing an nslookup from a client machine using the 2820 results in a 2 second timeout message before the results are delivered. Switching the client to use the same DNS servers as the 2820 resolves the issue.

More
08 Jul 2009 21:08 #4 by scm7ak
Replied by scm7ak on topic 3.3.1.2 DNS bug 2820
I've got an issue with the new firmware too...

I can no longer see my NAT port forward table. I can only see the headings.

The port forwards still work, but I just can't see anything anymore.

More
09 Jul 2009 00:07 #5 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic MX record lookup
I've just tried this myself and it does appear to be an issue.

Code:
>nslookup Default Server: my.router Address: 192.168.1.1 > set type=mx > gmail.com Server: my.router Address: 192.168.1.1 DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Request to my.router timed-out > server 208.67.222.222 Default Server: resolver1.opendns.com Address: 208.67.222.222 > gmail.com Server: resolver1.opendns.com Address: 208.67.222.222 Non-authoritative answer: gmail.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com gmail.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google .com gmail.com MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google .com gmail.com MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google .com gmail.com MX preference = 40, mail exchanger = alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google .com > exit

scm7ak: Are you using IE8? If so, see if you get the same results after you click on "Compatibilty View" (Tools>Compatibility View)

More
11 Jul 2009 12:09 #6 by ivankb
Replied by ivankb on topic 3.3.1.2 DNS bug 2820
This all sounds pretty worrying to me.
I need this router to "just work" as I am no network expert and do not want to have to configure any additional DNS server or such.

Does Drayteck ever comment on these groups?

Moderators: Sami