Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 or 3300V to limit bandwidth usage?

• scotty1000
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2009 07:30 #1 by scotty1000
2820 or 3300V to limit bandwidth usage? was created by scotty1000
Can anyone advise if either of the above products can do this -

We have student accomodation. Each of the 130 bedrooms has an ethernet port. We'll have two 24mb broadband connections going into the router.

We want to restrict each room's Internet access to a max speed of 512K and max monthly traffic of 10GB.

We want to do this according to MAC address but I suppose IP address would be okay.

Can either the 2820 or the 3300V do this?

thanks,
Scott

ScottCL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2009 22:11 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820 or 3300V to limit bandwidth usage?
certainly not the 2820, and I doubt even the 3300 is capable of that (although I don't actually have experience of that)

I would think you need to be looking at enterprise class firewall devices for that sort of functionality. Check out the top end Draytek ranges, or possibly have a look at Watchguard.
You can expect to pay serious money for something like that though.

What about a PC with linux? - there's bound to be software available to do what you want.

More
05 Aug 2009 23:42 #3 by drewy

scotty1000 wrote:

We want to do this according to MAC address but I suppose IP address would be okay.

Scott

Beware that both IP addresses and MAC's can be spoofed.
If you system needs to be fool proof you may want to look at something like layer 2 switches to limit the bandwidth at the ethernet port level. However I'm unsure about the feasibility of implementing monthly limits using this type of setup.

You will probably also need some method of limiting sessions to each physical port. I can't even imagine the number of nat sessions 130 students all running torrent downloads could create. This in itself would bury a good number of routers.

• scotty1000
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2009 08:41 #4 by scotty1000
Replied by scotty1000 on topic 2820 or 3300V to limit bandwidth usage?
thanks drewy, the layer 2 switch seems like the way to go

ScottCL

More
06 Aug 2009 11:53 #5 by paulj48
Replied by paulj48 on topic 2820 or 3300V to limit bandwidth usage?
My 2950 can limit the TX and RX speed to each client, you can also limit the number of sessions each client can use, you can also set the above with 4 different time schedules each if required.

It cannot limit the monthly donwload though, that would require differnt kit. Have a look on the Draytek US site, there are test logons for different models of router Draytek make, its worth having a play around with them.

• scotty1000
  • Topic Author
More
06 Aug 2009 13:05 #6 by scotty1000
Replied by scotty1000 on topic 2820 or 3300V to limit bandwidth usage?
went to www.draytek.com and found the 3300 will manage tx and rx on an IP basis and of course we can map IPs to mac addresses so effectively it will do it for mac add too. thanks for that paul.

we can live without managing the monthly downloads

we'll probably get the layer 2 switches too in case the 3300 gets overwhelmed doing this

ScottCL

Moderators: Sami