DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2800 setup for opening ports for Windows Home Server

• laurencew
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2009 23:32 #1 by laurencew
Dang. How I wish I'd stayed awake in the "Network Security" module, now!

I have a Draytek2800 which seems to have settled down and be running OK, after my previous router bailed out during a thunderstorm.

I have recently added a Windows Home Server to my setup, and it backs stuff up every night, just like it said it would. For fun, I've also put some photos up and these are viewable by a few friends using the Web Serving abilities of Home Server.

To do this, I had to open ports 80 and 443 on the router, for what I assumed was JUST the home server PC.

HOWEVER, when I run "Shields UP" on another local PC, it, too now reports these ports as open :cry:

It appears to me as though i have opened these ports up to EVERY machine on my network, and not just the Home Server. The Home Server IP address is appearing in the header of the "Open Ports" screen.

I have not set up anything in "Port Redirection" or "DMZ Host"

I have read the manual, but that doesn't really help :(

What am I doing wrong? Am I exposing my other PC's to danger?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2009 12:56 #2 by sbv3000
When you run Shields Up, it's probing the outside of the firewall/router, not the host PC, so you will always get this result.

Put a PC directly onto ethernet 2 (with a firewall :) ) and see what happens when probed

More
05 Aug 2009 14:22 #3 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2800 setup for opening ports for Windows Home Server
Dont think open ports is the correct way to do it, just make sure you give your home server a fixed IP from the MAC address. Then use Port redirect to send the appropriate ports only to your home server IP.

Howard

• laurencew
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2009 16:20 #4 by laurencew
SBV, Howard, thanks both for your replies.

SBV, I think you are telling me not to worry, anyway (and I think I see why), but I'd be nervous of using a "direct" ADSL modem instead of a nat/router - that would be like unprotected sex! (but almost certainly a lot less fun...:lol: )

And Howard, I will try what you suggest, also.

I have an "idiots guide to Windows Home Server" (or some such patronising title :)) and it was there that it covered the business of opening ports on the router. Certainly, with the ports left closed, I cannot "broadcast" certain folders on my Home Server out onto the greater Internet.

More
21 Aug 2009 15:41 #5 by olejnik_uk
Hi, I also have WHS and have reconfigured ports 80 and 443 on the WHS box itself to use something else i.e. 80 = 8080 and 443 = 4433.

Then, I opened the ports above on the 2820 and only for the WHS IP address.

If it helps, send me your email address, and I will send you some info on how to change the ports on the WHS box.

Hope this helps

• laurencew
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2009 20:35 #6 by laurencew
Olejnik, thanks for your offer of further help. My router is actually the older 2800 (not 2820), butI guess this is all fairly standard stuff so assume the same trick works for both. Please be so kind as to forward me the details!

Here I am

Laurence-dot-Wilkins-at-DSL-dot-Pipex-dot-COM

Moderators: Sami