DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 strange behaviour

• nesponge
  • Topic Author
More
27 Aug 2009 17:16 #1 by nesponge
2820 strange behaviour was created by nesponge
Just bought my draytek 2820... what a difference over the o2 box I was using before...

Latency is lower, connection quality is far superior... everything was great until last night.

I have been using the router for about 3 days now since I bought it and this is the first issue I have had.

Out of the blue I could not load any web pages on both my windows and linux machines. Both connect using wireless to the router.

I updated the firmware to the latest version (wireless, I know stupid... but it completed) however this did not fix the problem

Pages would load... however there was a HUGE pause before they would display...

This morning all is fine with my windows box again... I did nothing but reboot the router a few times.

However my linux machine still has the same problems. Pages take forever to load in firefox while software takes ages to connect with apt-get, although once connected it downloads full speed.

Strangely I ran a speed test on my linux machine and it reported full connection speed and low latency on a speed test website.

Something is amiss but I can't work out what.

I tried a factory reset but it did nothing... the problem remains.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

EDIT: I tried a fresh install of linux on another computer but got the same problem.

I'm using o2/be as my ISP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nesponge
  • Topic Author
More
27 Aug 2009 20:16 #2 by nesponge
Replied by nesponge on topic 2820 strange behaviour
Found out it's an ipv6 issue.

Ubuntu has it enabled by default and I found that disabling it in firefox makes the delay go away.

that does not help the other peograms that relay on internet access though :(

any plans for draytek to solve these ipv6 issues?

More
28 Aug 2009 16:16 #3 by alan.hancock
Replied by alan.hancock on topic 2820 strange behaviour
Suggest you also rule out whether it is a DNS issue, as a tens-of-seconds delay before EVENTUALLY connecting is sometimes what can happen if the Primary DNS service is temporarily unreachable ... you may end up with names being resolved by the Secondary DNS server but only after a timeout occurs waiting for the Primary to respond. If this is the case, then it would fit your symptoms: sometimes a web browser will not draw a page until most of the page is downloaded (one page may have to make many calls to multiple backend sites, adding to any DNS delays). You may be getting different results between browsers/operating systems IF they are caching differently or have different DNS servers configured. Try pinging your DNS destinations to see if they are reachable (being reachable does not necessarily guarantee that the DNS service is running there), and try swapping the order of your DNS servers to see if you can eliminate delays by referencing a 'working' DNS server first. As i said, DNS problems *may* explain what you are seeing but also this may be a red herring. If DNS *is* the issue then it may go away by itself if any DNS problem outside your network gets fixed eg by your ISP. Good luck!

More
03 Sep 2009 22:35 #4 by colbackp
Replied by colbackp on topic IPV6 disable link
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+cannot+load+websites+but+other+programs+can?style_mode=inproduct&s=disable+ipv6#IPv6

More
16 Sep 2009 16:50 #5 by dtvgroup
Replied by dtvgroup on topic 2820 strange behaviour
Hi Chaps :)

I think (pretty dam sure) that I have the same problem as Nes'

I have pretty much ruled out the DNS issue as have the 2820 in dual wan mode, load balanced so that traffic from 1 ip address goes exclusively down wan2 (bogons), anything else through wan1.
The singled out IP address supplies the internal network and is connected to the external facing card on a SBS2003 server, whist anything else connected to the draytek goes out over wan1 (bethere - bad new website - good product)
Both are coming in fine with www.speedtest.net. Now and then (wich is the really annoying thing) thet both "hang" for around like 5 seconds (but not both at the same time - will test that further). Unfortunately this is when the boss is trying to get his cricket reports from BBC or looking at something else work related (Basically bogons is the bbc iplayer so not much latency there expexted).... Internally (inside the sbs2003 network and using wan1) you get the complaining page from the sbs server hat the dns may be an issue or slow network connection, externally (using wan1) it just hands, waits, sometimes works, sometimes just hangs a bit more..

With a further bit on DNS internal network (SBS2k3 on wan2) is pointing to a different DNS than the external network (wan1) - both have identical issues :(

This is the same with firmware 3.3.2.1_232201 and its predecessor, have thrashed DNS with a very useful tool called DPT (link is http://swmirror.org/drupal/?q=node/91), comes back cleaner than my bank account after the wife has been shopping. Sometimes you can give it a kick by pressing the refresh button and all is well again, until next time. Router reboots dont help, firmware flashes dont help. ave not started configing from scratch with the firmware tho, will be considered later.

Any thoughts? I’ll be working on this over the next few days with lots of attention so will keep coming back with any progress

Thanks in advance - Rob

More
17 Sep 2009 15:53 #6 by dtvgroup
Replied by dtvgroup on topic 2820 strange behaviour
Fellas got this from looking through the forum:

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12827

basically says that there is an error in the way that the DNS stuff is handled by the draytek. Your best bet is to register with Open DNS on both of the wan's and point your dns server options to there.

Not a fix but a work around, will plod away tryin to get something going, but I have had to divert all traffic down 1 wan to get rid of this for the moment...

Moderators: Sami