Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Your expertise Appreciated

• evotwo
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2009 00:36 #1 by evotwo
Your expertise Appreciated was created by evotwo
Hi All

Could really do with your views advice on the following. I have a Vigor2820Vn running firmware 3.3.2.1_232201

I live as the crow flies 2.7km from the exchange and I am obtaining speeds at or below 1meg, with the speeds dropping around September when I changed to my new Draytek. (best old draytek at 1.8 ish worst new Draytek at 0.1)

Neighbours either side of me are both getting speeds just shy of 4meg and I am struggling to get anywhere near 1meg. I have read loads of threads here regarding settings and have disabled everything so no Qos, vpn or cms its running raw. I have stripped everything from my set up and the router running with just a direct feed from the master bt socket (new type) and my mac off the router and no difference at all.

Should I be questioning my ISP (Zen) or should I be looking at my router, is there something that I am not getting here or am I stuck with pathetic broadband. I am not as gifted technically as some here so your views comments guidance would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Link to telnet shot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/worthy/LinkAlbum/Screenshot2009-11-22at145637.png

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2009 02:59 #2 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Your expertise Appreciated
QoS and other router settings won't affect the actual synch speed. That's automatically negotiated.

A simple test would be to see if you can borrow one of your neighbours rotuers to see what synch speed it obtains. You don't need to run speed tests, just compare the synch speed.

If there is a difference then you could try different modem codes.

ftp://ftp.draytek.com has firmware 3.3.3 with different modem codes. The std uk one is 232201 but you can try any of the ones labeled Annex A. You can reflash the firmware via the web interface in the system maintenance setup.

• evotwo
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2009 23:26 #3 by evotwo
Replied by evotwo on topic Your expertise Appreciated
This seems like an awful lot of work to prove what? that a different router provides more speed. I am afraid I am not on that good a terms with my neighbour to ask if I could borrow his router. The speed came out in discussion it starts getting a bit sensitive when your pulling someones set up apart

Can you pad this out a little please, what do my figures indicate? is this an issue with the line that my ISP /BT should look at? or is this something that I am doing wrong? If my neighbours are obtaining nearly 4 meg with sky is this because the £180 Draytek can't cut the mustard with a cheap ISP provided router.

What are the different modem codes? and why would they improve things?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to be able to enjoy broadband, it feels at the moment not much better than it was 15 years back when I first went on line

Thanks for your time and input

More
29 Nov 2009 14:10 #4 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Your expertise Appreciated
The figures don't suggest anything wrong with your line conditions. The router has obtained a sync of 1.3Mb with a SNR margin of 17. The SNR margin shows the difference between the minimum SNR required for the synch speed obtained and the SNR observed on the line.

On rate adaptive ADSL there is something called a target SNR. This is the SNR margin that the DSLAM tries to synch at or above. It could be that the target SNR on your line is set to something like 15 and so the router can't synch at a lower SNR than this.

The higher the target SNR, the more conservative the synch speed. So with a lower target SNR the synch speed will be more aggressive. It could be worth asking the ISP to see if they're able to tell you what the target SNR is currently set to you on your line.

You mentioned that your distance from the exchange is 2.7km and the reported loop attenuation of 44 is roughly the sort of figure that would be expectd for that distance taking into account that the distance the line goes would be further than as the crow flies.

Have you noticed if the router experiences disconnections? A period of frequent disconnections can increase the target SNR as an automatic attempt to make the line more stable.

• evotwo
  • Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2009 20:14 #5 by evotwo
Replied by evotwo on topic Your expertise Appreciated
Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciated. I will make some calls tomorrow to see what my ISP know.

My line has been rock steady no drop outs

Thanks once again

More
29 Nov 2009 23:11 #6 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Your expertise Appreciated
Just to add my thoughts on it as well, it shows that it's connecting using G.DMT modulation and Sky usually use ADSL2+, it could be that setting the connection to use ADSL2+ specifically instead of G.DMT or multimode will make a big difference in speed. Also sometimes with longer lines, the 211801 modem code is better, which you can find on the international draytek site.

Moderators: Sami