DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2100n AND AP700 Ideal config

• 18pcs
  • Topic Author
More
20 Dec 2009 14:33 #1 by 18pcs
2100n AND AP700 Ideal config was created by 18pcs
I have setup the 2100n in one room and with the help of Devolo Homeplugs 200mbps have extended the ethernet connection into another further away room and have connected a AP700 here. I would like to have a strong internet connection throughtout the house and would like a few tips in this matter,
The AP700 has been set up as a Accesspoint. I have set up different channels on both. The SSID is the same on both.
The problem I am facing is when I come to the room with 100% signal the laptop still is logged onto the now weaker connection with 34% signal strength. What can I do so that when I move to a stronger signal area the laptop should connect to that . All advice highly welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 18pcs
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 04:19 #2 by 18pcs
Replied by 18pcs on topic Re: 2100n AND AP700 Ideal config

18pcs wrote: I have setup the 2100n in one room and with the help of Devolo Homeplugs 200mbps have extended the ethernet connection into another further away room and have connected a AP700 here. I would like to have a strong internet connection throughtout the house and would like a few tips in this matter,
The AP700 has been set up as a Accesspoint. I have set up different channels on both. The SSID is the same on both.
The problem I am facing is when I come to the room with 100% signal the laptop still is logged onto the now weaker connection with 34% signal strength. What can I do so that when I move to a stronger signal area the laptop should connect to that . All advice highly welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Would highly appreciate if anyone could please guide me in this matter. I tried with the same channels on both and now the computer logs on to the weaker channel even when I am sitting in the room with 100% signal. What about DHCP , should it be enabled on both ?

More
22 Dec 2009 11:41 #3 by rxt_ian
Replied by rxt_ian on topic 2100n AND AP700 Ideal config
DHCP should be enabled if you want the PCs to be given IP addresses by the router, rather than setting your own static IPs on the computers.

In the advanced tab of the adaptor properties of my wireless card i hava a "roaming aggressiveness" adjustment, maybe see if yours does? (mines an intel a/b/g integrated into a HP laptop)

• 18pcs
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 12:51 #4 by 18pcs
Replied by 18pcs on topic 2100n AND AP700 Ideal config

rxt_ian wrote: DHCP should be enabled if you want the PCs to be given IP addresses by the router, rather than setting your own static IPs on the computers.

In the advanced tab of the adaptor properties of my wireless card i hava a "roaming aggressiveness" adjustment, maybe see if yours does? (mines an intel a/b/g integrated into a HP laptop)

Many thanks for your reply. So on both the 2100 as well as AP700 I should turn DHCP on ? I have a button which says FAST ROAMING at and the value there is -70 ? Really dont understand what this means. I have a pentagram N card.

• 18pcs
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 12:55 #5 by 18pcs
Replied by 18pcs on topic 2100n AND AP700 Ideal config

18pcs wrote:

rxt_ian wrote: DHCP should be enabled if you want the PCs to be given IP addresses by the router, rather than setting your own static IPs on the computers.

Many thanks for your reply. So on both the 2100 as well as AP700 I should turn DHCP on ? I have a button which says FAST ROAMING at and the value there is -70 ? Really dont understand what this means. I have a pentagram N card.

Also please guide me as to the DHCP settings on the AP . Once I enable DHCP on it a screen opens up with the following settings

Default Gateway IP :
Domain Name Server IP :
Start IP :
End IP :
Domain Name :
Lease Time :

My managment IP address of the 2100 is 192.168.1.1 and the AP's is 192.168.1.2

I think this is a very crucial setting and I am messing up here

More
22 Dec 2009 13:48 #6 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2100n AND AP700 Ideal config
802.11 wireless isn't really made for roaming between areas as far as I know, if you want it to switch between access points with the same name, you would need to change the Roaming Aggressiveness setting, which I've seen on Intel wireless drivers but I'm not sure about other models.

Moderators: Sami