DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Faster ADSL2+

• techpro
  • Topic Author
More
21 Dec 2009 17:05 #1 by techpro
Faster ADSL2+ was created by techpro
I have just switched to TalkTalk Pro which has ADSL2+ supporting up to 24Mbit/s. They provided a D-Link DSL-2740R wireless router and I can get 11Mbit/s download speed with it. Using my Vigor 2800VG with the version 2.8.2 firmware I can get only 8MBit/s. I have selected modulation type "ADSL2+ Annex M" which seemed to be a bit faster than "ADSL2+ Auto (G992.5)". The D-Link mentioned Annex A and some other options but not Annex M (I can't give the exact details as it is no longer connected.)

Is a firmware upgrate to support faster ADSL2+ speeds likely for the 2800VG or is the current firmware as good as it is going to get?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2009 21:01 #2 by rxt_ian
Replied by rxt_ian on topic Faster ADSL2+
Maybe its best to download firmware with annex A ADSL firmware in?

More
21 Dec 2009 22:15 #3 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Faster ADSL2+
Annex A and M have nothing to do with each other. Annex A refers to ADSL over POTS (a normal telephone line) whereas Annex B is ADSL over ISDN (as in Germany). They require different hardware in the router. Annex M refers to a version of the ADSL2+ (I think) standard which can be transmitted over Annex A or B lines.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• techpro
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 09:13 #4 by techpro
Replied by techpro on topic Faster ADSL2+
The release note for the 2800VG firmware states "Locale: UK ONLY, Annex A". I already have the latest version from the website. (Okay, I haven't bothered with the beta 2.8.2.1 but the release note says the only difference is improved wi-fi performance for Mac notebooks, and I don't have any.)

More
22 Dec 2009 11:04 #5 by iain
Replied by iain on topic Faster ADSL2+
I encountered exactly this problem when I first moved to Be* who are another LLU ISP. It turned out the ADSL modem in the 2800 despite being advertised as ADSL2+ leaves something to be desired in terms of sync rate and performance.

I upgraded to a 2820 and now get a sync rate of 21Mbps.

It might be worth seeing if you can borrow a 2820 and see if this helps you.

Regards.
Iain.

• techpro
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2009 12:30 #6 by techpro
Replied by techpro on topic Faster ADSL2+
Thanks for the reply, Iain. I have no idea where I could borrow a 2820 but to be honest I wouldn't upgrade just for the sake of a bit more speed. I'd just like to be sure I'm getting the best I can out of the 2800. If the speed I'm getting is limited by the hardware then so be it.

Moderators: Sami