DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710 usb power

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2010 18:11 #1 by eddyad
2710 usb power was created by eddyad
I want to connect a Freecom mobile 'classic' HDD which is normally USB powered. I'd like to avoid the use of a separate powered hub or AC adaptor if possible but I can't find any info on the power available on the router USB hub. Can anyone help me with this please?

Thank you

P.S. Freecom are equally mysterious about power needs. They just say if the USB hub doesn't provide sufficient power for the drive then use an external adaptor!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2010 18:03 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2710 usb power
I tried out an 80gb lacie usb portable drive that's bus powered and it started up on a 2710 and worked okay. I think this drive is fairly picky about the power it needs to work too.

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jan 2010 20:15 #3 by eddyad
Replied by eddyad on topic 2710 usb power
Thank you for your reply. I plugged in my Freecom drive and it spins up OK but I haven't a clue what to do next.
I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me (total newbie to networking/routers) how to set up the PC and 2710 so I can 'see' my mobile HDD? I've scoured this forum and the web but just can't find anything that helps me. My 2710n firmware is 3.3.0.1
Many thanks.

More
16 Jan 2010 01:28 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2710 usb power
you need the 3.3.2 and later firmware from www.draytek.com:
http://draytek.com/user/SupportDownloadsDetail.php?action=Load&MID=10&ID=339
Then, draytek have made a guide on how to set it up here: :)
http://draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=874
You'll need to use a drive formatted with either FAT or FAT32.

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jan 2010 09:26 #5 by eddyad
Thanks a lot. I've found the modem code so I'll go ahead later today and hope it works.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• eddyad
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2010 20:28 #6 by eddyad
I updated the firmware fairly easily and the USB drive became visible. After two or three hours I discovered how to make the USB drive a Network Place (not helped by My Network Places not being in my Start menu.)
Now I can open the drive and it looks just like a normal folder.

But i have discovered that before I can do anything with a file I have to copy it to my PC, although PDFs will open in an IE browser window. I can also copy files to and from the USB drive. But anything else asks for a User Name and Password in the IE browser.
I'm beginning to think this is the normal mode of operation and that files on the USB drive cannot be used the normal way. Am I missing something?

If what I have is correct it rather defeats my purpose in buying the Draytek as it will probably be easier just to plug my USB drive into the computer I want it on.
At least I hope I have a decent modem/router....

Moderators: Sami