DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2710N gmail browsing problems, with TalkTalk ADSL

• daiphoenix
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jan 2010 16:31 #1 by daiphoenix
Hello.

I have TalkTalk ADSL broadband, and I recently tried to replace their Huawei modem router with a Vigor 2710N. However, after doing that I experienced some problems when browsing, particularly with gmail, facebook and some other sites. Some of them would load very slowly, and in gmail, I wasn't even able to logon (and I tried this over a wired connection, different machines, browsers, etc.).
After some searching, I found the suggestion to reduce the MTU size in the router, from 1442 to 1432. I did so, restarted, and now I was able to log-in to gmail. But I noticed some of the problems still persisted. Gmail, sometimes loses connection, ie, it becomes unresponsive for a while, show the "Oops the system has encountered an error" or "Unable to reach Google Mail. Please check your internet connection. Trying again in X". Other pages are mysteriously slow to load (the stay blank for several seconds, then load fast), even though overall connection speed is good: ADSL base speed is 20Mbps, and I can get 12-17 Mbps download speed on speedtest.net.
I tried to further reduced the MTU to 1400, but the problems remained just the same. At this point I decided to ask for help, as this is really strange. I ask them, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong here, or some ideas to try to diagnose the problem? I dont have any of these problems with the standard Huawei router.

Bruno.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2010 21:28 #2 by rothers
deleted

More
23 Jan 2010 18:40 #3 by dannyboy1121
Basic question .. but what are your ping response times to these sites?
Have you tried a traceroute to see if there are any noticeable delays?

Dan

• daiphoenix
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jan 2010 11:56 #4 by daiphoenix
A do a ping to mail.google.com and it works fine. Yet this was when I had connection problems on gmail.
I wonder if this problem is related to https, as mentioned in some other threads, as I use https in gmail. I haven't tey noticed other https sites with problems though, but I haven't browsed many such sites recently though.

--- /c/Home/phoenix phoenix@NEXUS ---
$ ping mail.google.com

Pinging googlemail.l.google.com [209.85.227.19] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.227.19: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.85.227.19: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.85.227.19: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.85.227.19: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 209.85.227.19:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 36ms

More
24 Jan 2010 13:18 #5 by rothers
If you suspect mtu problems you can test for maximum unfragmented packet size with:

ping -l <packetsize> -f <host>

• daiphoenix
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2010 13:38 #6 by daiphoenix

rothers wrote: If you suspect mtu problems you can test for maximum unfragmented packet size with:

ping -l -f

I dont suspect "anything", in the sense that I was just following suggestion thrown by other members on threads that I search for, and seemed similar to my problem/symptoms.

So do you think the MTU for talk talk could be less than 1400?

Moderators: Sami