DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to force traffic to use a specific WAN IP?

• reado
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2010 15:37 #1 by reado
I want to force all traffic sent from a source IP address to a specific destination port to use one of my WAN IP addresses on my DrayTek 2820n. Can anyone tell me how I can achieve this please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2010 11:42 #2 by benji
Off the top of my head its probably easiest to achieve by setting the "default gateway" on the client (source IP machine) to be the specific WAN IP?

There is probably a rule you could create on the firewall/nat settings too on the router, but I am not 100% sure on doing that without looking it up.

More
05 Feb 2010 12:47 #3 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic How to force traffic to use a specific WAN IP?

benji wrote: Off the top of my head its probably easiest to achieve by setting the "default gateway" on the client (source IP machine) to be the specific WAN IP?

There is probably a rule you could create on the firewall/nat settings too on the router, but I am not 100% sure on doing that without looking it up.

No, that won't work - The default gateway should be the internal IP address of the router.
To force traffic down a specific WAN connection set up rules in Load Balance Policy under WAN on the router menu.

More
05 Feb 2010 13:21 #4 by benji

runningdeere wrote:
No, that won't work

I wouldnt say "wont" as it would really depend on your network type and setup.

There are two "internal" router IPs though - which I presume map to the two WAN IPs?

More
06 Feb 2010 12:28 #5 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic How to force traffic to use a specific WAN IP?

benji wrote: I wouldnt say "wont" as it would really depend on your network type and setup.

There are two "internal" router IPs though - which I presume map to the two WAN IPs?

No network setup isn't the problem. The default gateway needs to be on the local subnet, because the default gateway is where network packets are sent to if the destination is not on the local subnet, so unless your PC has an external IP it needs the routers internal IP as the default gateway.

Most people only have a single WAN IP, and generally only use the main subnet on the router. The second subnet is for splitting your LAN and allowing routing between the two.

More
06 Feb 2010 15:08 #6 by j.baker
If I understand you correctly, you want to make sure outbound traffic requests from a machine/s on your network are sedn via a specific WAN interface?

If so, have a look at WAN >> Load-Balance Policy.

You can setup:

Protocol
Binding WAN Interface
Auto failover to the other WAN
Src IP Start
Src IP End
Dest IP Start
Dest IP End
Dest Port Start
Dest Port End

So, to make sure that DNS request are send over WAN2, set the protocol to UDL, auto failover unchecked. Soruce IP being your mahcine IP, DST start/end empty, DST port 53.

If you only have one interace, with a range of public IP addresses, then that is something different.

Can you detail what you are trying to do?

Regards

John Baker

Vigor2820 series with firmware 3.3.5.2_RC2
ADSL

Moderators: Sami