Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

A little help with QOS etc

• species
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2010 09:36 #1 by species
A little help with QOS etc was created by species
Hi Guys,

Ok here's the story, I've lent my 2820n to a friend as he's currently living in a house of 11 people sharing a 20Mbit/768k line and quite frankly without any form of restriction the internet was just shocking!

He's connected straight into the switch on the router and everyone else is using the wireless, however even at quiet times despite the fact the upload is advertised at 768k your lucky to get half of that but Virgin say it's working perfectly so who am I to argue...

What we're looking for is to make the best use of what available bandwidth there is and prioritise the ports for World of Warcraft to give a reasonable ping (TCP 1119 & 3724).

Here's what I've done thus far:
1) Enabled QOS in both directions on WAN2, 15% share of both upload and download dedicated to the above ports, sounds like overkill but it still doesn't seem to make much difference. UDP limit is at 25% and TCP Ack Prio is on.

2) Session limits enabled at 2000 max.

3) P2P CSM enabled and filtered for all client.

With the above measures, general internet browsing has been much improved however we still don't seem to be getting anywhere with the ping issues, I think I've set up the above correctly but any further suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2010 10:15 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic A little help with QOS etc
If they're still having ping issues with that, it's probably down to fine tuning the upload amount or enabling options such as prioritise TCP ACK / UDP bandwidth control.
It may also be worth checking whether the WoW traffic / pings are being classified correctly in the Online Statistics part of the QoS settings. It helps to put ICMP into the highest QoS class for testing that too.

• species
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2010 10:48 #3 by species
Replied by species on topic A little help with QOS etc
Yeh I already have TCP Ack switched on and UDP ratio is set at 25%.

I'll try adding in ICMP into the services associated with Class 1, so far I'm using:

Class 1: 15% - TCP 3724/1119
Class 2: 1% - No Settings
Class 3: 1% - No Settings
Other: 83%

Looking at the little online stats graphs for QOS there's definitely bandwidth going through Class 1 which is a positive sign. :)

More
09 Mar 2010 11:45 #4 by voodle
That's similar to how I have mine set up, it should be working so it's probably just a case of tweaking the upload limit for QoS so its low enough to be within the actual bandwidth available.

• species
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2010 12:41 #5 by species
Replied by species on topic A little help with QOS etc
Does anyone know what effect the "DiffServ CodePoint" pulldown has when configuring the services for QOS?

There's a lot of options and I have no idea what they do, wondering if I should be selecting one rather than ANY?

More
09 Mar 2010 13:50 #6 by voodle
DiffServ codepoint is for devices such as IP phones that have packet tagging QoS, managed switches can usually tag stuff like that as well but it's meant for a per device basis rather than a per service one which is probably less useful for what you're doing.
Unless you can set a matching diffserv codepoint value on something then its best to leave the Diffserv set to Any.

Moderators: Sami