DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DrayTek Vigor 2800 - constantly rebooting

• jcsammut
  • Topic Author
More
29 Apr 2010 15:36 #1 by jcsammut
Hi,

I am looking for some general advice. I have had the 2800 for a couple of years now and have been very happy with it until very recently.

It has just started rebooting itself on a very frequent basis (several times a day).

I was already on the latest firmware, however I even tried to reflash it again to ensure nothing was corrupt - still no joy.

Interestingly when I tried updating through the dtftp.exe utility this in itself caused the modem to reboot and I was able to recreate it every time I tried. In the end I FTP'd the files to the router and flashed it that way.

Just to confirm it is the whole router rebooting and not just the ADSL line - this is apparent from the 'System Uptime' value.

The problem seems to get worse when the router is in use. For example, if there is no traffic and it is idle it all seems ok, however if I boot up the xbox and it connects to xbox live then a few seconds later the router reboots.

This is not tied specifically to the xbox (connected via ethernet) it also happens with wireless clients (iphone, laptops etc).

SysLog is not showing me any unusual (or useful) messages.

I am running a wireless G only network, with WPA/PSK.

Does it sound like perhaps the 2800 is faulty? I don't want to buy another router only to find out that it is something else causing it.

Let me know if I can provide any further info.

Thanks,

Jason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2010 15:55 #2 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic DrayTek Vigor 2800 - constantly rebooting
Hi Jason,

has your ISP changed or upgraded? Maybe from a G.DMT 8M DSL Max type connection to a ADSL2 G922.5 type connection?

I have had this recently with a former Nildram customer who has 'upgraded' to Opal.

If so, some users have reported improvements using the alternative "alt adsl - 67.3.61" firmware listed on the downloads page.

Regards,

Neal.

• jcsammut
  • Topic Author
More
29 Apr 2010 17:20 #3 by jcsammut
Replied by jcsammut on topic DrayTek Vigor 2800 - constantly rebooting
Hi Neal,

Thanks for the quick response!

I have not changed my ISP, however I did upgrade from a 2mb service to an 8mb service - this was around October last year and come to think of it I did notice the rebooting started since the upgrade.

Though this has become much more frequent in the last few weeks.

As a heads up I made no changes to my router config after this upgrade, the details are still set as:-

ADSL Status Mode State Up Down SNR Loop
G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 8128000 12.5 10.5

As a heads up I have recently installed a Vodafone SureSignal but the issue was happening before that too.

I have checked my exhange information on SamKnows but there isn't much detail for my exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMGN .

Do you think it is worth trying the alternate firmware?

Thanks again!

Jason.

More
29 Apr 2010 19:17 #4 by nealuk
Hi Jason,

a very interesting summary of your exchange from Sam Knows.

It seems BT are the sole equipment owners, and any other ISP's would have to make use of the this equipment.

If, say for example, BT had upgraded behind the scenes, say for example in preparation to offer 20MB services, then even if everyone is officially still on 8M Max services, the changes could effect you.

So I'd seriously think about giving the other firmware a go.

Other thoughts... do try swapping the microfilter first. You may be surprised!
+ have you a different / spare ADSL Modem/Router you could try out?
+ any changes to the Telephones on the line? Cheapo ones can generate a fault condition on the line
+ there aren't any alarms hard-wired in to the telephone line without a Microfilter?

Regards,

Neal

• jcsammut
  • Topic Author
More
29 Apr 2010 22:59 #5 by jcsammut
Replied by jcsammut on topic DrayTek Vigor 2800 - constantly rebooting
Hi Neal,

It seems that since I reflashed the firmware earlier on today (using the non-alternative model) the router has remained up (7.5 hours and counting now!).

I will continue to monitor over the next day or so and if it fails again will work through your suggestions.

As a heads up, after I reflashed the firmware I changed the WiFi mode from Mixed(11b+11g+SuperG) to Mixed(11b+11g) so I am not sure if this has stabilised things further.

Also when it was going up and down every 10 minutes or so I did have more clients connected (a maximum of 8 WiFi and 4 ethernet) however am I right in thinking that even this qty of connections shouldn't cause the router to reboot?

Thanks again for all your help!

Best regards,

Jason.

More
03 May 2010 10:46 #6 by nealuk

jcsammut wrote: ...when it was going up and down every 10 minutes or so I did have more clients connected (a maximum of 8 WiFi and 4 ethernet) however am I right in thinking that even this qty of connections shouldn't cause the router to reboot?

I wouldn't rule it out. As more churn goes to looking after the wireless folk, then the ADSL side could loose out. I've found ADSL2 needs more current to keep the connection up.

Moderators: Sami