Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Random Reboots / DHCP Issues 2860vn-plus

• techqed
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Nov 2015 11:27 #1 by techqed
I have two regular problems with my Draytek 2860vn-plus router connected up to PlusNet ADSL (no other WAN options used).

1) When I connect my Surface Pro 3 to the Wi-Fi, after a short time it seems to cause the router to reboot (I have many other devices connected, such as a PC, Xbox One, Harmony Remote, Mobiles etc). But it seems related to when the SP3 is connected - particularly if I initiate something like a file copy.

2) At certain instances - possibly also related to when the SP3 is connected to Wi-Fi. All LAN machines can no longer obtain IP Addresses via DHCP (the DHCP handshake times out), this then requires a reboot of the router to correct. Bizarrely, Wi-Fi devices seem unaffected.

I have been experiencing these issues on many versions of the firmware over 6 months (including v3.8.1) - I have just upgraded to v3.8.2 today, I'm not holding out much hope, but will update if I can confirm the issues remain.

Any ideas why the router would become unstable when the Surface Pro 3 (in particular) is connected!? I have worked in IT for many years and have much experience with diagnosing technical issues - this is definitely symptomatic and not a co-incidence.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2015 14:44 #2 by admin
If it's really rebooting, there's a telnet command which can get diagnostic
info which can help if you send it to support...

I've forgotten the command though. sys debug something-or-other...

Forum Administrator

• techqed
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Nov 2015 16:17 #3 by techqed
Replied by techqed on topic Re: Random Reboots / DHCP Issues 2860vn-plus
It's definitely rebooting. You can hear the relay click, all the network ports drop etc. for several mins.

It has also done it since I upgraded to the latest firmware (v3.8.2) earlier today.

I've had a hunt around with putty, but can't see debug under sys:

Code:
DrayTek> sys ? sys ? % Valid subcommands are: admin adminuser bonjour cfg cmdlog ftpd domainname iface name passwd reboot autoreboot commit tftpd cc version qrybuf pollbuf britask tr069 sip_alg license fr_log diag_log daylightsave dnsCacheTbl syslog time eap_tls

More
23 Nov 2015 16:42 #4 by admin
sys ver dbg

Forum Administrator

• techqed
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Nov 2015 16:48 #5 by techqed
Replied by techqed on topic Re: Random Reboots / DHCP Issues 2860vn-plus
Thanks.

Ok, I ran that but the only thing that could possibly be of use would be:

Code:

Hopefully that corresponds to the last error code.

Here's the full command output (I obfuscated the IP)

Code:
DrayTek> sys ver dgb Router Model: Vigor2860Vn+ Version: 3.8.2_VT2 English Profile version: 3.0.0 Status: 1 (0x490d5e4c) Router IP: X.X.X.X Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Firmware Build Date/Time: Oct 29 2015 16:38:04 Router Name: DrayTek Revision: 52346 V381_LTE Current VDSL2 Firmware Version: 05-07-04-03-00-07 ADSL Firmware Version: 05-07-01-08-00-01 Annex A VDSL2 Firmware Version: 05-07-04-03-00-07

More
23 Nov 2015 17:28 #6 by admin
There's no reboot debug there; time for you to ask tech support.

Forum Administrator